Nero 6.0.0.0 ,6.6.0.0 Reloaded , SafeDisc3.10.020/3.15.011/3.20.022 And A NEC3500A

Ok been reading a lot on the forums lately. Have enough knowledge to be harmless ( Ahh Elite those were the days )

Got an understanding of copy protection and know how to identify what copy protection may be on a CD.

Know how to backup non copy protected CD,s.

TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHY I NEED TO IDENTIFY WHAT COPY PROTECTION IS ON A CD? iS IT JUST SO I CAN LAUNCH BURNING SOFTWARE THAT CAN ‘MAYBE’ HANDLE IT ?

Once i have identifyed what copy protection is on a CD need to know how to get past it. Do i just use NERO ? As soon as i try to make an image of a cd on my HD i get a ERROR READING DATA. I know know enough to understand that its the copy protection making unreadable info at the start of the scan.

Or do I need different burning software for different versions of copy protection ? Its all very confusing to a beginner !! Not enough experts remember that its the simple things they understand and take for granted that trips up newbies like me.

For instance :- some people say Clone CD is great. I coudnt even get it to read a CD for christs sake. Then i had to spend hours on the forums looking into solutions. I just gave up in the end as it was all to … misleading…

IS THERE ANY WAY TO REMOVE COPY PROTECTION FROM A CD ?

Just for fun could somebody out there show me how to backup some of my games. ie :-

Call Of Duty - Safedisc 3.10.020 --> 3.15.011
GTAIII - Safedisc 2.60 --> 2.51.021
Doom3 - Safedisk 3.20.022 --> 3.20.022
Need For Speed Underground - Safedisc 2.90.040 --> 2.90.040

The above differences in version Numbers of safe disk represent what A-Ray detect on the CD first and then in the installed directory on the HD second.

That brings me to another question ! Whay does it detect the same version for some games cd and installation directory and then different versions for other games such as Doom3 ?

Well that about taps my questions out for the moment. But if u miss me dont worry. I’LL BE BACK. :wink:

In my opinion, as a computer science degreed, I’d say to you: let the other do the job :D.
I mean, if you need to know what copy protection do your cd has, just go to www.makeabackup.com. I’ve tried several copy protection identifiers and none of the worked well.
Nero isn’t able at all to bypass any kind of protection.
You need to use Alcohol for protections like Safedisk and other, the burner is very important to make a perfect 1:1 copy.
You may need blindwrite if you have to deal with a Safedisk.

Clone cd it’s obsolete, not being updated from the last year, so if your reader/burner it’s newer than this date, it won’t work at all.
Go and look for Alcohol 120%.
I was saying about different protections: your burner can do the difference. For example, SecuROM it’s based upon different sector density than normal; a sort of “fingerprint”.
The only burner able to reproduce phisically the hatred SecuROM is the Plextor Premium with Blindwrite Suite ( I don’t know which version, because a friend do this for me, I’ve got a LiteOn ).

You cannot remove a protection from a cd , unless you do use a … coff coff. :smiley:

I suppose you have the “original” cd.
Download Alcohol 120%, buy a copy of the program ( :smiley: ) and then put the cd in your reader.
I suggest you to read a 4x of speed, but if you are in hurry you can simply put at maximum speed.
When you’ve done the copy you should see what kind of burner do you have: if you’ve got a LiteOn 52x ( the last model ) you can burn without Eight To Fourteen modulation; in other case you should use it ( it’s a software bypass for Safedisk weak sectors ).
Burn at 4x.

The only one you won’t be able to reproduce succesfully is Doom 3. This version of Safedisk it’s too advanced for now.

maybe you should browse the forums and read some tutorials to understand what we do here…

you may want to take a look at my COPYING GAMES GUIDE, it explains how to make a backup of games with all the protections listed.
however all this is allready on the forum so you really should have searched first :wink: .

regards,

ben :slight_smile:

You do undertsand that 99% of protections listed on makeabackup are from A-Ray scan results don’t you?

@ Schidzo,

I would suggest using more than one scanner to get a result for the used copy protection. Take a look at Womble’s protection scanner guide and using his tips you should find the used protection.