Nero 5

I am trying to burn a slowed down version of an audio (music) mp3. I can get get it slowed down using audio editor / time correction. I tested with preview. However when I save the file and open it using winamp or windows media it’s not slowed down. Ultimately I want to burn the slowed down version to a cd.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

It sounds like you aren’t actually applying and saving the effect after you preview it.

Any chance you are using Nero Wave Editor? If so, when you select “Tools”->“Time Correction…” you get a dialog box from which you can play with the time expansion/contraction settings and preview the effect. When you are satisfied, you press “OK”, the settings are applied, and you can save your work. Right? Wrong! :wink:

The settings are only applied to the portion of the waveform that you selected before opening the Time Correction dialog. You probably just had the cursor placed on a single point in the waveform so that no range was selected and the effect wasn’t applied to anything. Thus, you saved the waveform exactly as it was - unmodified.

The trick is to make sure you have selected the portion of the wave you wish to modify before selecting “Tools”->“Time Correction…”. It seems that you wish to apply the effect to the entire song, so the easiest way to do so is to select “Edit”->“Select All” or simply press Ctrl-A. The entire waveform display will switch from green on black to blue on white, and when you subsequently select “Tools”->“Time Correction…” and apply your effect, you will actually see the waveform stretch. You will also now be able to hear the effect when playing the waveform using the CD-like controls on the lower left on the screen. Now save, and you should have the modified file you want.

Even if you aren’t using Nero Wave Editor, the same general comments likely apply. Make sure to select the portions of the waveform you wish to modify (in your case the entire waveform) before bringing up the time correction dialog box.

cfitz

“Select All” was a step I was missing. I’ve done that , now, when I try drag the new compilation into Nero to burn I get this error message. The audiofile “name” .wav’ is not a recognizeable format. ???

You drag the modified .wav file into the Nero audio disc compilation window and it gives you this error? In what format are you saving the file? For example, are you saving it as an mp3, but appending a .wav file extension? Are you changing any of the parameters of the wav file from the CDA defaults (44100 Hz, 16 bits, stereo - not that this should be a problem)? Does the wav file, by itself, play in Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc.?

cfitz

Originally posted by Bennetball
The audiofile “name” .wav’ is not a recognizeable format. ???
When saving files you should select MP3 as the output format, but you seemed to save those as PCM Wav.

Originally posted by BoSkin
When saving files you should select MP3 as the output format, but you seemed to save those as PCM Wav.
That depends on what you are trying to burn in the end. If you want to burn an ISO 9660 data disc with mp3 files on it and are happy with the Nero mp3 encoder, then sure, save as mp3 directly from Nero Wave Editor. If you want to burn an ISO 9660 data disc with mp3 files on it but prefer another mp3 encoder to Nero’s, then save as wav and use your preferred encoder to convert to mp3. If you want to burn a CD-DA disc, then save as wav with CD-DA parameters (44,100 Hz, 16 bit PCM) and definitely do not save to mp3. Doing so would add an unnecessary and destructive cycle of converting from uncompressed PCM to compressed mp3 and then back to uncompressed PCM.

The fact that Bennetball is getting an error about an unrecognizable audio format indicates to me that he is trying to burn a CD-DA disc. Otherwise Nero would not check the format of the file, since it doesn’t care about the formats of files burned on an ISO 9660 data disc. Thus, saving to wav is the correct choice in this situation.

In any case, Nero can import either mp3 or wav files into an audio compilation, so on those grounds the format in which Bennetball saves should be irrelevant to the “unrecognizable format” error he is seeing, and switching to mp3 won’t directly solve his problem. It might solve it indirectly if when saving to mp3 he avoids doing whatever he is doing to corrupt the wav file, but that would just be a random side-effect and not the fundamental solution to the problem. It is not a mistake to save to wav.

cfitz

Originally posted by cfitz

That depends on what you are trying to burn in the end.

The fact …indicates to me that he is trying to burn a CD-DA disc.

1. As for me, I would rip, safe and burn only WAVs.
    I use Feurio or PlexTools instead of Nero,
    and when it comes to mastering - it’s SoundForge 6 instead of Nero Wave Editor.
    You name it.

2. That was B’s words that made me think of it in terms of MP3s :

Originally posted by Bennetball

I am trying to burn a slowed down version of an audio (music) mp3.

I got it to work ! When I closed audio editor Nero let me drag the slowed down compilation into the software. I burned it to a cd and the cd plays at the slowed down speed.

Thanks to everyone’s help !

You are welcome. Glad it worked out.

cfitz