Nero 5 leaves out files/folders!

vbimport

Nero 5 (can’t remember the exact version number) was bundled with this PC which was bought about 3 years ago.
I found an update (I think at Nero’s website) which allowed me to freely update it to 5.5.10.56, so that’s what I’ve been using.

The problem is that when I burn, a lot of files and folders are left out!!! :frowning:
I believe it may be because the folder-depth of what I’ve been burning (such as email backup from Mozilla) is more than 8 folders deep (not exactly sure how to count this -if each backslash () is counted as one folder, including the “C:”, or if it’s each folder’s name, if it’s 1 main folder and 8 sub-folders, or 8 folders altogether etc.

But then again I’ve taken care to set Nero up so that it allows for more than 8 folders, so I have no idea why this is happening! :confused:
Regardless of how 8 folders is counted it does appear that this could be the problem, as the missing stuff is around that number of folders deep.

Is this a bug or a “feature”?
Any ideas anyone?

I’d like to have a CD burner which simply burns whatever I throw at it. No complicated setups or anything. My girlfriend who’s definitely not a computer geek wouldn’t have a clue what to do if this sort of thing happened, or even recognize it until it was too late, so I just want to set up the darn thing to work properly!

In addition to it being 8 folders deep, how many characters does your path occupy?

Additionally, are you using Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express?

I’m using Nero “burning ROM”.

I’ve counted around 166 characters in total, give or take a few characters.
Here’s one of the paths where the file at the very end (HD floppy-disk drive.sbd) is missing on the CD copy:

C:\Mine dokumenter\Mitt Internett\Mozilla
brukerprofiler\Hallvard g5ju7ow.slt\Mail\archive\arkivert.sbd\2004.sbd\Computing.sbd\Atari ST.sbd\HD floppy-disk drive.sbd

Wait a minute… it’s actually less than that, because the folder I drag over to Nero to burn is “Mozilla brukerprofiler”, meaning that Nero would have this path to deal with:

Mozilla brukerprofiler\Hallvard g5ju7ow.slt\Mail\archive\arkivert.sbd\2004.sbd\Computing.sbd\Atari ST.sbd\HD floppy-disk drive.sbd

Regarding the 8 folder deep issue, I did a little experiment…
I created a folder with 10 folders within each other, and each folder contains a text file as well, with the level number on it (i.e. “1.txt” within the first folder, “2.txt” within the second folder and so on) so I could easily determine if anything and what would be missing. It looks like this:

[I]root-folder\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\10[/I]

Well, it transferred just fine to the CD using Nero, so apparently that’s not the problem.

Moving on…
When I try to burn the CD with the email backup I get an error message telling me that I’ve either exceeded the 8 folder limit or I’m using more than 255 character. This doesn’t seem correct to me as I’ve bypassed the 8 folder llimit with the “ISO” settings that comes up when I start the program and want to create a new CD.
I’ve set it to:

ISO level 2 (31 characters)
Mode 1
ISO-9660
Joliet
Allow path depth of more than 8 directories
Allow more than 255 characters in path

I’ve taken a screenshot of it here: http://home.c2i.net/w-460389/nero_iso_settings.jpg

So the settings should be OK, right?

But when I try to burn the CD (by going to “File”, then “Write CD”) I get an error message telling me that I’ve either exceeded the 8 folder or 255 character limit. This makes no sense!!!
Here’s a screenshot of that error message:

http://home.c2i.net/w-460389/nero_error_message.jpg

Any ideas?

Normally, you are limited to the Joliet file format which only supports up to 64 characters for file names or the ISO 9660 file format which only allows up to 11 characters for file names.
We have an option in Nero to “Relax the ISO 9660 restrictions”, but this is only referring to the “Full Path” of the files location. For example: C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero Burning - Rom\Nero.exe which as a file is only 7 characters long, but for the full path it used 50 characters.

However, in Nero 6 we now have the capability to relax the ISO 9660 restrictions even more, and allow up to 108 characters for file names.

The other alternative is to use the packet writing software like InCD which follows the UDF file system.

I’ve always been confused about these issues: is that the limitation for each file, or the complete path? Surely none of my folders exceed 64 characters.

We have an option in Nero to “Relax the ISO 9660 restrictions”, but this is only referring to the “Full Path” of the files location. For example: C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero Burning - Rom\Nero.exe which as a file is only 7 characters long, but for the full path it used 50 characters.

So for a path you count every single character from beginning to end, including the slashes?

However, in Nero 6 we now have the capability to relax the ISO 9660 restrictions even more, and allow up to 108 characters for file names.

Yes, I have this in Nero 5.5 as well, which I’m using. I don’t know about the file-name lengths, but it says that there’s a limit of 255 characters in the path. Look here for a screenshot of my ISO settings: http://home.c2i.net/w-460389/nero_iso_settings.jpg

The other alternative is to use the packet writing software like InCD which follows the UDF file system.

I noticed after installing Nero 5.5 from the CD that came with the machine (I’ve never installed it from that CD before, because it comes with the Windows installation CD as well) that InCD was installed and has a try icon. I have no idea what it is however, but I get the impression that it’s some sort of “very easy to use CD recording program” for copying files from the hard drive. I was asked if I wanted to format the CD-RW in my drive, to which I said yes. After that I thought I could simply drag the files I wanted to burn over to the E:\ drive (my CD-burner drive), but that didn’t work.

So what exactly is InCD, and how do I use it?