Nero 5.5.9.0 audio multi-session help?

hello all–this is only my second post, so be gentle…

i am using windows XP home, nero 5.5.9.0, a liteon 40125S burner and a liteon 163 dvd.

i am experienced with computers, but only recently got involved with burning. i pretty well have data backup burning figured out, but am having problems with burning audio cds.

here is what i want to do:

take a variety of store-bought music cds and burn a track or two from each onto a cdr, in the standard cda file format. no mp3s, etc. i want to do this over a period of a week or more as i think of new tunes to add. at this point i am not concerned with fancy stuff like filtering, cd text, etc. i just want them to be numbered properly, play at the same volume, and be playable on my stereo system and in the car.

i have done this successfully when i did it all at one sitting–not “multisession”. i did 25 tracks to a cd in a couple of hours, finalized it, and everything worked fine.

but i am bogged down when trying to do it over several days, when the cd must be reinserted over time, and the old session continued. i may be missing something that i have to do before i quit the first session? maybe i should be thinking cdrw rather than cdr?

the problem is that the nero help files regarding multisession are geared toward data cds, and the audio cd help files are not geared toward multisession.

can some kind soul or two try to walk me through the appropriate technique in the “audio/multisession” area ???

ignatz

Multisession is NOT to be used with audio CDs, as 99% of the audio CD players always look at the first session. So, even if you could write a second session, you wouldn’t be able to listen it on your radio.

There is an alternative, you could record track-at-once, and only close the session when all tracks were inserted. But then, you could only listen to it when it’s closed :rolleyes:

Right, the redbook format defines single session for audio cds. Multi session audio cds can only read by multi-session aware devices, that is only your cdrom can read it… Btw: I am not sure if you can even make multi-session audio cds with Nero because it contradicts the standard.

Other suggestions:

*) the suggestion of – Z – works.
*) write your temporary audio files to harddisk/cd-rw and write them to a normal single session audio cd when you have enough to fill the cd.

My suggestion is to just save the compilation without burning, and add tracks until it’s full. Then burn it all at once. That way you can also re-arrange, add or delete.
In the case of taking tracks from other audio CD’s, use CDDAE, (download HERE ), and rip the tracks you want to the folder where you save the compilation file.

z: i have been trying to do it track at once, with no success. it’s fine with me if i can’t listen till after closing. are you sure it can be done directly to cdr with nero alone? if so, i need specifics as i am getting nowhere.

upp3rd0G: can i use nero alone to write audio files to a hard disk through nero’s standard drag and drop method? and then drag and drop again from the hd to cdr? my attempts at burning so far have all bypassed the hard drive.

rdgrimes: do you mean that my goal is not doable with nero alone? i have downloaded CDDAE, but have not yet looked at it. i gather you mean that i can use CDDAE and not start nero at all?

the notion of rearranging, deleting, etc is appealing. i have noticed that there seems to be no way to control track order when going directly to cdr with nero?

lastly: within nero, if you choose “audio-cd” and then look at the “cda options” tab, several choices are offered–“tempfile strategy”, “reference strategy”, “device dependent strategy”, and diskspace strategy"; are these settings pertinent to my goal?

thanks to you all for replying. if i get a little more feedback and can arrive at a consensus method, i will give it another go.

ignatz

Just click file-save and the compilation is saved to disc so you can open it next time you want to make changes, then burn it. but you will need to have the wave files saved to disc too, which is what CDDAE is for. It rips the files to the HD.

rd:

thanks; i have got CD DAE going now and have managed to transfer some CDA files to hard disk; and then opened nero express and got it to burn those CDA files to a cdr. i’m still clumsy at it, but have the basic operation figured out and am on the right path.

ignatz

Nero Express is pretty limited in what you can do with the files, but it’ll work. Furio is well-regarded software for audio, if you’re going to be doing a lot of it, you may consider that. Nero also has the Wave Editor utility that allows you to adjust volume and edit the tracks. It can be accessed from inside Nero, or from the programs menu.

rd:

i may take a look at feurio if i have issues with nero express. it worked ok on a couple of cds i did last night.

you mentioned controlling volume. i noticed in nero express that “normalize all audio” is a default option, which i used. is that control in nero express known to be inadequate? i have yet to give a thorough listen to the cds i made, but variations in volume between songs can be very distracting and i would like to avoid it.

i also discovered a track or two that i wanted to chop off the intro to–i figger i can do that with the nero wave editor, but would feurio be an easier to use choice for that kind of simple editing? it’s not likely i want to get into removing ticks, pops, etc, but may want to contro intros, do fade-ins and fadeouts, etc.

i was kind of surprised to be able to burn right out to 79’56" with no issues.

ignatz

Nero will do all these things for you. Be carefull about burning audio past 74 min, as some CD players will not track past 74 min.

The Feurio Track Editor is far superior to Nero’s Wave Editor for setting editing points. Nero’s editor is very rudimentary and requires the use of the mouse to set track positions, which is very clumsy and imprecise.

The Feurio editor allows the keyboard to be used to set timings within one millisecond.

For precision editing of intro cuts, fade-ins and fade-outs, Feurio’s editor is the better choice.