Nero 5.5.35

vbimport

If I use Nero to burn a H/D Backup does it is just burn the data on your Hardrive, or does it burn the whole size of your drive.

I used H/D backup yesterday to backup my Hard Drive which is a 20gig with nearly 3gig used and it had used 13CDs and still had not completed, is this normal?.

Nero kept saying CD BK 13- 30 Dat, does that mean the 13th CD of 30, that would take longer to install than a normal one.

Which is the best way to Backup your hard drive and with what software.

Many thanx in antipation

Disk Image Pro (from PowerQuest, creators of the famous PQMagic) does the job ! It creates a binairy image file of a partition of your harddrive. You can compress it and split it in parts (for storing on multiple cd’s.

:stuck_out_tongue: Eric

I’ve heard Disk Image Pro is good, just haven’t had a chance to try it yet – also you might try Norton Ghost. They’re out with Ghost 7 right now. Ghost 7 though supports burning the contents of your HD directly to cd. And if you use the high compression setting, you get close to a 2-1 compression ratio! A couple weeks ago I backed up this guy’s laptop that said it had 3gig of data on it – it burned the entire disk onto two 700MB cd’s!

I’m impressed.

Later.

Shank

P.S. Oh yeah, and Ghost 7 also defrags your data when it writes it to an image file.

Originally posted by jomo
I used H/D backup yesterday to backup my Hard Drive which is a 20gig with nearly 3gig used and it had used 13CDs and still had not completed, is this normal?
Yes. Nero burns/backs-up the complete harddisk… :frowning:

Just a quick update

Drive Image Pro 4

Originally posted by shank643 – also you might try Norton Ghost.

][i]Yess, Ghost definitely does the trick![/i]
However, take care to choose the right mode, or ghost will make a 1:1 copy, also backing-up all the empty space (as I assume Nero has done for our first poster)

I like the “multicast server” in Ghost very much (you can make an image consisting of multiple CDr’s on another computer through the network or parallel cable and dump images to clients too.

[i]A while ago I wrote a tutorial for the Ghost multicast server in another forum, would anybody here be interested if I’d post this tutorial in this forum???[/i]

I also use a lot of command swithes to exclude large files like the windows swapfiles, and also exclude stuff like cookies, mp3’s in the ghost image

There’s also a bit of info in my tutorial on how to make an autobooting CD from a ghost image.
Every client I build a computer for gets an autobooting set of ghost CD’s. When they screw up their system and phone me, I just tell 'em to boot to Win NT (I make dual boot systems with the NT partition hidden) burn their personal stuff on CD, stick in the first Ghost CD and reboot, replace the cd when the system asks for it.

:)I believe computing should be fun:)

Of course I know how to copy disks. Where’s the xerox machine?