Nero 5.5.10.56 - no bitsetting bugs & no power calibration errors

vbimport

Howdy!

Has any1 tried Nero 5 yet? I tested it on my computer and am fully satisfied with it. In this version, bitsetting works properly. If you do NOT enable the bitsetting check mark, the booktype is not changed. So if the DVD+RW is already bookmarked as DVD-Rom, it still remains DVD-Rom. If you burn a DVD+R, you have to enable this check mark. Otherwise, it is bookmarked as DVD+R. However, the default bookmark of DVDInfoPro is not changed by this version of Nero!

In addition, I made a couple of test burns on DVD+RW: No single “power calibration error” yet. For me, this version seems to be perfect.

Any1 with similar experiences?

Good to hear.
Many people have reported that the latest Nero 5.X version is more stable and reliable than the 6.X version.

I too like nero 5 instead of 6. I’ts way more reliable and also less resource hungry than version 6. Good thing that nec 2500 is supported.
Never really liked the 6 nero incarnation.

Yep it seems like Ahead was trying to make Nero more cartoon-like and idiot proof (look at Nero Express/Smartstart:Z) similar to Roxios’ CD/DVD creator.

IMO, Nero is loosing favor in the Tech community by taking this approach with its’ 6.X versions.

Yep it seems like Ahead was trying to make Nero more cartoon-like and idiot proof (look at Nero Express/Smartstart) similar to Roxios’ CD/DVD creator.

Exactly. Where do i sign? :bigsmile:

I think that we’ll soon se another CD-R/DVD±R(w) software company doing things right. Recordnow is another good software package but the interface is too idotic (made for ppl whos IQ is less or equal to their shoes number).
I don’t see anything wrong with simple software, but when functionality and control over options goes the “easy” way i’m really pissed off. How the hell do you know at what speed are u actually buning in recordnow? (apart from the raw ugliness of the gui)

Are you referring to the MIN/MED/MAX burn speeds of RecordNow?
If you can’t see any numeric write speeds, you need to update RecordNow with the newest PxEngine (507).

Are you referring to the MIN/MED/MAX burn speeds of RecordNow?

Exactly. I guess everyday we learn something new.
Nice that you can actually see the writing speeds but i still hate software which works like nero express and have a “pokemon” gui.

Btw, does cdrwin still exist?

Tried Ahead gear and got mixed opinions. At the end i didn’t like it much.

Still think that nero 5.5… is the best burning software around.

I also tried burn-at-once and i was very pleased. Limited functionality but still very good. Not to mention that is free.

Wesociety:
My nec 2500a works well but all Taiyo Yuden media i tried (fujifilm, verbatim) produce mediocre results compared to prodiscS03 and many other cheap brands. I’m almost sure they’re not media with forged ID and also tried various batches. The kprobe scans are very similar to a pioneer 106. If i’m to belive to kprobe (which i don’t) TY seems kinda ppor media.

TY on NEC 2500A (stock firmware) at 4x

Now the same nec 2500A on a prodiscS03

Sorry if going off topic.

Kprobe scans on a DVD-ROM drive are pretty unreliable. You can’t compare them to scans made on LiteOn DVD writers.
It does appear that the Prodics are burning better, but I highly doubt that the TY burn is bad.
Any way you could rescan on a LiteOn DVD writer using 4X 8ECC scan settings?

Any way you could rescan on a LiteOn DVD writer using 4X 8ECC scan settings?

I wish i could. I already got rid of a TEAC 8x ± liteon based writer which was a joke not a recorder. With him i’ve done some scans and turned out to be alot worse (well, it reported way less errors, but those were sky high).

It seems that i’m overworried about burning quality. Well, i guess it’s ok but i’m still worried about the media reliability. Who knows… maybe all my currently burned media will be readble without error say till 2005.

I’m very pessimistic about DVD longevity. I think that three years on fairly good media = unreadable or partly unredable.

What a shitty/unreliable technology. I hope blue ray will be better for data storage/archiving.

I’m currently buying only TY media for archiving. Scans are so so but in the past i found that ty CD-R’s were very reliable. I still own many verbatims from 93’ which works like new. Cheaper brands died long time ago.