Nero 12 and Nero 12 Platinum released

vbimport

Nero 12 and Nero 12 Platinum released.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/09/1WtNJt.png[/newsimage]Nero has released version 12 of their famous multi-media package which adds a lot of new functionality.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/nero-12-and-nero-12-platinum-released-63997/](http://www.myce.com/news/nero-12-and-nero-12-platinum-released-63997/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It once had my preference, but then I found free software, that do the same and better.

One note of caution: Nero 12 doesn’t have BluRay or BluRay3D Playback. You have to buy that separately.

Nero 12 Platinum has those abilities natively and is priced accordingly.

I think it was the same for Nero 11 already.

Yes, that’s right. Nero won’t be selling this as Newer & Better.

Just Newer.

Nero 8 been very very good to me. No reason to change.

I still use version 10, I think, just to burn a CD/DVD now and then. Complete bloatware now.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2656325]just to burn a CD/DVD now and then.[/QUOTE]

With ipod/iphone Bluetooth connectivity to car stereo systems, and memory card media capabilities, There is almost no more need for discs.

Back in the day I was worried about coasters, now I have no choice since I don’t know what to do with all my unused cd-r and dvd-rs.

Star Burn does everything I ever might need to burn, but there is a lot of other freeware to do the rest that Nero may do.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2656325]I still use version 10, I think, just to burn a CD/DVD now and then. Complete bloatware now.[/QUOTE]

Only as bloated as you make it. There are options to install the applications individually. In your case, just install the Burning Rom component.

I still use Nero 8. Just use it to burn DVDs and CDs. No need to upgrade for the sake of it…

I’m on Nero 11 right now, mainly using Cover Designer for labelling discs, Kwik Media as Blu-Ray player and for copying disks - my remaining burns are executed with IMGBurn

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2656401]With ipod/iphone Bluetooth connectivity to car stereo systems, and memory card media capabilities, There is almost no more need for discs.[/QUOTE]

I almost NEVER burn a CD/DVD anymore. Usually it’s for people who haven’t started using HDD/SD/thumbdrive to hold their stuff.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2656483]Only as bloated as you make it. There are options to install the applications individually. In your case, just install the Burning Rom component.[/QUOTE]

I do select custom and install only the burning component, but if memory recalls it’s still 110 megs.

Jeez, I haven’t burned a disc (for myself) in weeks… much of the media out today (video and audio) stinks… so I dont’ back it up… and my HDD is sufficiently large enough (1tb) to avoid backing up for months at a time… Oh well, will have to sort through my directories sooner or later… I think I still have nero 10… lolz

When will 4tb hard drives hit $99? I really dislike backing up data… warehousing on redundant arrays seems more appropriate… Nero should start including archives databased to locate files and media so that they move beyond DISC technology… Nero Archives and array storage utilities.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2656566]I almost NEVER burn a CD/DVD anymore. Usually it’s for people who haven’t started using HDD/SD/thumbdrive to hold their stuff.

I do select custom and install only the burning component, but if memory recalls it’s still 110 megs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s more than an Imgburn install but nowadays when you have huge hard drive capacities, 110MB is only a small footprint. Compare it to the space an Adobe or MS Office app requires and you’ll see it’s not much at all.
What capacity is your program installation drive?

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2656625]Jeez, I haven’t burned a disc (for myself) in weeks… much of the media out today (video and audio) stinks… so I dont’ back it up… and my HDD is sufficiently large enough (1tb) to avoid backing up for months at a time… Oh well, will have to sort through my directories sooner or later… I think I still have nero 10… lolz

When will 4tb hard drives hit $99? I really dislike backing up data… warehousing on redundant arrays seems more appropriate… Nero should start including archives databased to locate files and media so that they move beyond DISC technology… Nero Archives and array storage utilities.[/QUOTE]

So you’re implying that you only backup when your hard drive gets full and you move stuff onto optical disc to free up space? That’s not backing up buddy, that’s just relocating data. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s what your comment implied.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2656625] Nero should start including archives databased to locate files and media so that they move beyond DISC technology… Nero Archives and array storage utilities.[/QUOTE]

Jumping in here since I work for Nero. We actually offer a whole lot more than disc burning software. It sounds like Nero BackItUp may be the application you’re looking for with the above comment. Nero RescueAgent is its companion application that lets you recover lost or damaged files from discs, hard dries, USB drives, etc. Both are included in the Nero 12 suite; Nero BackItUp is also available on its own from our web site.

Best,
Paul

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2656650]Yeah it’s more than an Imgburn install but nowadays when you have huge hard drive capacities, 110MB is only a small footprint. Compare it to the space an Adobe or MS Office app requires and you’ll see it’s not much at all.
What capacity is your program installation drive?[/QUOTE]

My install drive is only 160GB, and I do have lots of room left, but it’s the principle of it.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2656694]My install drive is only 160GB, and I do have lots of room left, but it’s the principle of it.[/QUOTE]

Did you waste any of your space on the new Duke Nukem game from last year?
And to think we had to wait 10 odd years for that followup. What an anti-climax.

The oldish nero 6.6.x is enough for my needs, I use it rarely.

I have a decent image of my O/S already if I want a quick-reinstall from a HDD failure/disaster… IMO it’s not as useful to have an o/s loaded down with programs, you’d be surprised what you can do without when recovering from a system crash (therefore regular incremental o/s recovery isn’t as important.) Of course imporant data worth saving gets backed up immediately-- on dvd or blu ray, but havent’ had much of that lately… hence the weeks comment. Important info such as bookmarks, text files and whatnot can easily be backed up to flash drives or mirrored/synced to a tablet or smartphone…

** The way Windows O/S work, I’m of the old school that knows registry cleaners and program removal aren’t as efficient as a fresher) install of an O/S… Much like taking a haircut… feels nicer to have a clean O/S and drive. (always good to have a "stock* PC image that isn’t overburdened with program installs). I haven’t gotten close to filling my 1tb drive up… I’ll delete files around the 300gb free range… 3+tb drives are all about warehousing data… mainly media files. The important thing to know is after the reload, it’s important to reinstall security updates, update antivirus/malware, update flash/java/a.reader, and any other media codec platforms.

The bulk of what consumers put on large hard drives are media files-- much of which probably comes from the internet. For that you only need a database of the files for recovery in the worst-case scenario. Backup of an O/S onto optical disc isnt’ as useful (except in rare emergencies and for redundancy)I’s betterr to be able to recover the image from an external HDD or flash drive-- less time consuming. It’s rare that I’ll have an issue with virii & root kits… If the average person wants to avoid that they should stay away from google search… seems to be picking up steam lately…