Nero 11 Platinum Quick Preview

vbimport

I just posted the article Nero 11 Platinum Quick Preview.

MyCE is taking a quick look on the latest software from nero, you can take a quick look in this preview, just continue reading.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/nero-11-platinum-quick-preview-53275/](http://www.myce.com/review/nero-11-platinum-quick-preview-53275/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I am surprised this got an excellent. I have not read the whole review (and know I should).

But I have not used Nero since v6 which was fantastic but was forced to stop as it did not support XP service pack 2.

v7 was considered massive bloatware compared to v6 and also caused conflicts to other apps due to an application that got installed with it. I tried installing a custom version of nero lite (that was made by enthusiast not Nero themselves) just to install without those conflicting apps.

Then just figured what’s the point in doing all that when Nero should do it themselves and stuck with Imgburn for everything from then on in.

Another thing annoying about Nero is that DVDshrink; probably the greatest DVD reauthering app ever made, Nero bought the app rights and then released one version of it incorporated into Nero 7 (and then never once updated the app after that one release).

Looking at the screenshots it looks overcomplicated to what Imgburn does easy and for free.

Same here I stopped using Nero after Nero 6 which was a great program and thought Nero 9 could be better but no it was worse it stole most of my custom file extension without even telling me and changed my file associations and was at time so bloated and slow. I just removed it and put Nero 9 in the scape heap to never install it again. I now am forced to but unfortunately to use Foobar to do my mp3 to cd writing after using winamp to rip my cd to mp3. Which so far has worked and happy for somewhat that winamp is still a viable program compared to the downhill side Nero is doing now. Nero 6 was probably their last and greatest program that will never be repeated again.

Nero was actually getting better with their latest releases but I wont upgrade from 10 to 11 without some sort of amazing changelog.

It says it plays BluRay, and at $109 might be a bargain for that feature.

Well of course there is a huge difference between Nero and Imgburn. I use imgburn all the time when I’m creating ISO files from dvds or creating dvds from ISo files but let’s face it, it’s functions, while very good, are very few. With Nero you can do so much more; it’s a full-featured media suite not a single function program like Imgburn. You can create menus, merge files together, edit video, play video, and do all sorts of other things that Imgburn cannot do as it was not intended do do those functions. I agree that earlier versions had their problems although I have been using Nero8 for some time now with great success and I am now upgrading to nero11 to get the HD capability. [QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2607729]I am surprised this got an excellent. I have not read the whole review (and know I should).

But I have not used Nero since v6 which was fantastic but was forced to stop as it did not support XP service pack 2.

v7 was considered massive bloatware compared to v6 and also caused conflicts to other apps due to an application that got installed with it. I tried installing a custom version of nero lite (that was made by enthusiast not Nero themselves) just to install without those conflicting apps.

Then just figured what’s the point in doing all that when Nero should do it themselves and stuck with Imgburn for everything from then on in.

Another thing annoying about Nero is that DVDshrink; probably the greatest DVD reauthering app ever made, Nero bought the app rights and then released one version of it incorporated into Nero 7 (and then never once updated the app after that one release).

Looking at the screenshots it looks overcomplicated to what Imgburn does easy and for free.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2607799]It says it plays BluRay, and at $109 might be a bargain for that feature.[/QUOTE]
Cyberlink and Arcsoft both do that very well for much less, thats not to say that Nero is not worth the money, I just doubt that at this cycle of DVD usage Nero is not what it used to be. JHMO.:wink:

Thanks for the review, vroom :flower:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2607799]It says it plays BluRay, and at $109 might be a bargain for that feature.[/QUOTE]

I know at least one person who would likely be willing to pay Nero to keep their program rather than use it for Blu-ray playback :rolleyes:. Spent more than a few minutes trying to help a member figure out why his BDrebuilder backup only played back in foreign language. Nero platinum 11 turned out to be the culprit. The Bluray playback software in the package is seriously crippled by it’s inability to play any HD audio formats. Also not capable of 3D playback http://www.nero.com/enu/support.html#step%3Acontenttypes%3Bnextstep%3Aresults%3Bproduct%3A25%3Btags%3A118%3Brequest%3A1%3Bsearch%3A%3Btype%3A%3Btrigger%3A1 . Buy it for it’s other features, but do not think you’re getting real BD playback as a bonus. It does not in fact support full HD playback.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2607793]Nero was actually getting better with their latest releases but I wont upgrade from 10 to 11 without some sort of amazing changelog.[/QUOTE]

hmm ok…well then that a refreshing to know…but does 10 or 11 steals or not let me when I am installing determine what files to associate with nero or does it do it without my knowledge only to find out later that the file associated with another apps is now properly of nero and will always open with nero when I click on it? That will to me determine if I will buy nero 11 or not…If some currently has Nero 10 or 11 full or plat version installed can they tell me if the lost their file association or does it let you pick and choose what file extensions to go with the latest Nero product???

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2607856]hmm ok…well then that a refreshing to know…but does 10 or 11 steals or not let me when I am installing determine what files to associate with nero or does it do it without my knowledge only to find out later that the file associated with another apps is now properly of nero and will always open with nero when I click on it? That will to me determine if I will buy nero 11 or not…If some currently has Nero 10 or 11 full or plat version installed can they tell me if the lost their file association or does it let you pick and choose what file extensions to go with the latest Nero product???[/QUOTE]
File type association is related to media players, of which Nero has one. It’s a pretty simply task to change file associations in any player. Windows can do the same for you with a few clicks.

Version 11, as well as the version before it, does NOT offer native Tivo file editing and authoring. This company is so effin cheap, that they don’t want to have to pay the licensing fee to include a codec.

Even after the question was asked on Facebook, they never answered the question. It wan’t until the program was purchased did the user find ou that he was up the creek without a paddle.

This company is famous for its bloatware. And version 11 doesn’t disappoint in that area. If you have version 10, then I’m sorry. Seriously, you don’t need version 11. Do yourself a favor, and go with Roxio 2012.

And Roxio is not bloated?
There is not much difference.

I admit, TiVo support might be important for some users making Nerö not the software of choice.

Michael

Well, it appears that it was supposed to be added in version 11. Or at least that was what I was told when I purchased version 10. They are obviously too effin cheap. Plain and simple. VideoRedo seems to be the best program out there for Tivo authoring and editing.

Nero is OK. But unless you have version 10, don’t waste your money.

There are much better choices for virtually anything and everything that Nero does. And many of those choices are free. I see no reason to invest in this type of all in one package from Nero.

Nero welcome only online !?

I tried importing a blu-ray into Recode to encode into a different format but was told blu-ray is not supported. Shame. Also, if you want to play blu-ray, you need to purchase a plugin for $30. On the positive side, the dvd recodes are super quick.

[QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2607729]I am surprised this got an excellent. I have not read the whole review (and know I should).

>>> Hi Anthony1uk ,

Christopher from Nero inc.
We have listened, learned and leaned it up. Nero defined Burning in the PC world, but as software moved from pre-installed PCs and Store boxes, it took time to shift our installation packages to electronic download simplicity and slimness. But Nero 11 has made major strides to shrink and slim down… >>>>>>>>>

>>>>> All I can say there was a whiteboard with that term in our office and product development’s efforts has reduced our hard drive footprint as well as shrinking the initial downloads to a fraction of what they were in previous editions.<<<<<<<<<

>>>>> Also we have streamlined installation and dependencies so that you can pick and choose what templates and features you want installed<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>> Take a look at Recode. We re-engineered the process to not only take full advantage of multiple cores, but also utilize GPU cores as well. <<<<<<<<<<<

Looking at the screenshots it looks overcomplicated to what Imgburn does easy and for free.[/QUOTE]

>>>>>> Take it for a test spin, we have both expert and express modes in video editing, and a universal media browser to manage content between all the suites apps. Nero 11 has a 14 day trial at nero.com

As for other freeware, freeware is lean and simple because its free :wink: ! Nero 11 is a suite of audio, video, photo, recode, photobooks/calendars/greeting cards and more… For example, our video suite supports multiple Picture in Picture modes and green screen effects. So with all those tools and more, you are going to get a lot more, as well with 24 M-F support. <<<<<<<

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2607743]Same here I stopped using Nero after Nero 6 which was a great program and thought Nero 9 could be better but no it was worse it stole most of my custom file extension without even telling me and changed my file associations and was at time so bloated and slow. I just removed it and put Nero 9 in the scape heap to never install it again. I now am forced to but unfortunately to use Foobar to do my mp3 to cd writing after using winamp to rip my cd to mp3. Which so far has worked and happy for somewhat that winamp is still a viable program compared to the downhill side Nero is doing now. Nero 6 was probably their last and greatest program that will never be repeated again.[/QUOTE]

>>>>>> Christopher from Nero Inc,

Hi coolcolors,

As I stated with Anthony1uk, I think you will be very surprised by our long list of improvements from Nero 9. When you optimize for multi-core CPU’s and harness the speed of almost all GPU’s you will find the suite very speedy.

We agree Nero 6 defined the industry, but Nero 11 was literally rebuilt to take advantage of modern PCs and work with Android and Apple devices. <<<<<<<<

[QUOTE=gamo62;2607902]Version 11, as well as the version before it, does NOT offer native Tivo file editing and authoring. This company is so effin cheap, that they don’t want to have to pay the licensing fee to include a codec.

Even after the question was asked on Facebook, they never answered the question. It wan’t until the program was purchased did the user find ou that he was up the creek without a paddle.

This company is famous for its bloatware. And version 11 doesn’t disappoint in that area. If you have version 10, then I’m sorry. Seriously, you don’t need version 11. Do yourself a favor, and go with Roxio 2012.[/QUOTE]

>>>>>> Hi gamo62,

Christopher_Nero here again,

We created Liquid TV with native Tivo support for your PC, literally turning your PC into a Tivo… Sadly there was weak demand. So our engineers had to balance file size with price and features. We striked a balance between features, size, and price with Nero 11. There are many licensed formats we support, See bottom of page: http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero11-platinum-system-requirements.html

As for Facebook, we hope we did not miss you :wink: , but we responded that with one Tivo request that we support formats that work with Tivo + for PC. That’s Tivo’s PC software, its not free either, even Tivo won’t give it away!

Cheers from Nero! <<<<<<<

Nero 11 is a whole bunch of FAIL. There were key features in all of the Recode version up until version 10 which were deprecated in version 11. One example is as follows:

In version 10 you were able to “compile a DVD” which allowed you do keep the extras/bonus scenes or drop them and the menus if you chose to. The resultant end product was a playable DVD structure which could be burned to disc and played back.

In version 11 if you want to keep the extras/bonus scenes you are forced to keep the menus or drop the extras/bonus scenes and keep the “Main Movie” only. If you remove the menus you are greeted with a warning informing you the DVD will not be playable if you continue. Anything that is removed from the DVD structure is replaced by 30 second picture which is watermarked with “content has been removed” followed by your favorite media player crashing and exiting unexpectedly.

Version 10 had the functionality to remove the menus and keep whatever content you desired and you were able to watch a playable DVD structure in version 11 this is a no go since if you do anything beside Recode the whole movie or the “Main Movie” you will be left with an end product which isnt playable.

Im sticking with 10 which sucks because I have been using Nero since the DVD shrink days when it was still being actively developed…