Nees some Help

vbimport

I am new to ripping DVD’s and have a few questions. I just purchased a 1TB HD and would like to back up all my movies. I want to use Xvid and keep AC3 (5.1) sound on my movies.

The last two days I have been reading as much as I can on how to do this.

I have gotten the following software:

1. AVI.net
  2. AnyDVD
  3. CloneDVD2
  4. Xvid 1.1.3 Codec
  5. DVD Decrypter

Yesterday I used CloneDVD2 to rip the movie and AVI.net to convert the vob files to a AVI. It worked fine and kept the 5.1 but it was really compressed.

This led me to read about how CloneDVD2 “transcoded” the movie.

I guess long story short is what software do I need to “Rip” a dvd with 5.1 (uncompressed) and then turn it into an AVI???

Any and all Suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

When you turn a DVD into an .avi you really over compress it. The .avi is usually about 700mbs instead of 6 gbs. Its a good idea to save space but I would just put the whole DVD on the 1TB drive, then if I wanted I could just burn the disc or watch it. But as for a software that will do what you ask, I really would have to do some research.

When you rip your DVD to your hard drive, make sure that the resulting ripped files are uncompressed rips (as opposed to compressed to fit onto a single-layer DVD). This will help ensure that your resulting Xvid files will have higher quality material to work with.

I’ve never used AVI.net, but if it has some kind of option to control the output size, you can try bumping it up to improve the output quality. The smaller you compress something, the lower the video quality will be, but Xvid is a more efficient video codec than MPEG-2 (which is what DVD video is), so you should be able to compress it somewhat without noticeable loss in video quality. On a side note, you may want to look into using AutoGK to do the conversion from DVD to Xvid, as it has plenty of options for controlling output size, resolution, etc.