Need total scoop on cd's and dvd's etc

I guess I am more of a novice than I thought. Recently purchased an LiteOn burner hoping to be able to rip and burn copies of my pictures and music. Not having much luck for the following reasons:

Can’t determine whether to use blank cd’s, dvd’s with all the variations of each. The player will not accept certain disc’s, my D drive will not recognize some of the disc’s. Which media should be used when and how? Can I burn a cd to a dvd, or vice versa?

:confused: It’s all very confusing. The bottom line here is, I suppose I need to do a good bit of reading and learning all about the different variations, types, and manufacturers and requirements required to work with them.

Can anyone recommend a site on the internet where I can read current detailed information about working with cd’s and dvd’s? Or even books that are descriptive? Your help will make me a :smiley: happy fellow.

Here are a few links that just begin to scratch the surface. It would be helpful to know what software you have and [U]what you want to do.[/U]

Many CDF members prefer payware, many prefer freeware (e.g. imgburn, burnn, EAC, etc.) and some prefer a combination. Many payware products also have free trial downloads. Most importantly - remember to always use quality media. Use the search engine to explore topics and read the posts.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/

http://www.videohelp.com/convert

[QUOTE=cashort;2013739]Can’t determine whether to use blank cd’s, dvd’s with all the variations of each. The player will not accept certain disc’s, my D drive will not recognize some of the disc’s. Which media should be used when and how? Can I burn a cd to a dvd, or vice versa?[/QUOTE]
Apart from the good advice given to you above, the basic rule, particularly for a beginner, is that if ypu’re copying a cd then burn to a blank cdr; if copying a dvd then burn to a blank dvd + or - r.

[Note that cd and dvd formats are not the same and whilst there are some circumstances where variations are possible, it’s much harder for things to go wrong if you just follow the basic rule above.]

Thank you both for your kind assistance. I purchased a LiteON Model LH-20A1PU burner. I am using Express Burn rather than Nero. I have purchased blank Maxell dvd-r and Memorex cd-rw discs. Operating system is Windows XP SP2.
I have difficulty determining why some discs will/will not work in various players.

I will certainly go to the sites recommended and attempt to comprehend as much as possible. Thanks again…

cashort:

It might be best if you selected one task and experiemented with it until you feel comfortable. For example, try backing up an audio CD, try ripping one or more tracks to your hard drive, try different ripping formats (compressed and lossless) and try to create MP3 discs.

Try backing up a DVD (single and dual layer), try ripping a DVD to your Hard Drive, try copying Main Movie only, try compressing a movie to fit it to a 4.7 gb DVD, etc. etc. Unless you focus on specific tasks, you’re likely to become overwhelmed.

Final suggestion: Most forums have “stickies” at the top of their screen. These are the first posts and they have valuable advice for members. Some of the stickies also have tutorials and they can be most helpful. Some of my personal favorite products are Slysoft’s and there are very well written tutorials but there are well written tutorials for many other programs.