Need to trim a dvd

Hi,

I have dvds that I recorded on panasonic hdd/dvd recorder. The dvds are labeled as 4.7gb dvds. However, after finalizing them they appear as having approximately 12gb files(8hrs ep mode). I was hoping to be able to trim these dvds and reburn them to a fresh 4.7gb disc. Is there a way that I can do this without having to compress them? It just doesn’t seem like it makes sense that one should have to compress(time intensive task) to fit the same amount of material(less trimmed) back onto the same type disc(4.7gb) that it was recorded on. Furthermore, what in the world is going on here that over 12gb of data appears on a 4.7gb disc?

Thanks, Ron

Hi Ron and welcome to CD Freaks :slight_smile:

Which piece of software is mistakenly telling you these DVDs contain ~12 Gb recordings?

When I look at the folder containing the VOB files in Windows Explorer then Windows XP explorer window shows a total of 12.4 gb of these VOB files.

Thanks for the welcome.

Okay, I am able to get the dvd onto the hard disk drive using dvddecryptor(even though there is no protection on the dvd) and the size on the hdd is about 4.18gb. The problem now, however, is that I have 8 different tracks on the dvd and now have 4 large vob files and 1 small one. Is there a tool out there that will copy to hard drive and split the vob files into their respective tracks so that I have 8 vobs that are ~500mb each. Or, is there a tool that can merge and split them into 8 seperate tracks? Someway to get at these tracks so that I can trim them and reburn them onto a dvd?

Thanks, Ron

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you…

You can still use DVD Decrypter, but this time set it to ‘IFO mode’, and then each title will appear as a separate ‘Video Title Set’ (VTS) with an associated ‘program chain’ (PGC). These PGCs are the individual programmes you recorded.

Before you rip the titles, go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Settings’ -> ‘IFO mode’ tab, and make sure ‘File Splitting’ is set to ‘None’. Then rip them as before, and afterwards change the ‘.vob’ file extension to “.mpg”.

[If you use ‘File mode’ then all you get are the DVD-Video format .VOB files; which are all the individual recordings bunched up together and then re-segmented into chunks of ~1 Gb.]

[QUOTE=rmclaug2;2239353]Thanks for the welcome.

Okay, I am able to get the dvd onto the hard disk drive using dvddecryptor(even though there is no protection on the dvd) and the size on the hdd is about 4.18gb. The problem now, however, is that I have 8 different tracks on the dvd and now have 4 large vob files and 1 small one. Is there a tool out there that will copy to hard drive and split the vob files into their respective tracks so that I have 8 vobs that are ~500mb each. Or, is there a tool that can merge and split them into 8 seperate tracks? Someway to get at these tracks so that I can trim them and reburn them onto a dvd?

Thanks, Ron[/QUOTE]
If you are talking about just some basic trimming use DVD Shrink (Set Start/End frames) in reauthor mode.

Both of these together do exactly what I want.

Thanks