Need to make a desicion between these 3 burners help?!?

i have narrowed it to these 3 burners… can anyone please post the advantages / disadvantages to each of them and where each drive excels or flops?? i have tried looking for each but it gets very confusing reading about one then searching for another only to have to go back to the first again lol…

samsung SH-S203B (or n model w/lightscribe i assume they perform the same?)

pioneer 212bk

and lite on LH-20A1S bk

i am really looking for best overall drive with good cd support and ability to burn all different media… i have freinds that will bring me junk media at times.

should i use 3 dvd drives and get a regular cd drive with no dvd support?? or will the combo drives be fine for that purpose. been a couple years since i bought drives so i have been away for a while.

i will be using 3-4 of these drives for all uses as normal including backing up my store bought movies, and cd’s, poss games, and also for making multiple copies of realtor dvd’s for the wife to hand out. i normally make 5-10 of those a day so i need a durable set of drives. please someone help me make up my mind??!!?? thanks very much :bigsmile:

ps i miss my ben q 1640’s i have 4 in my last system but that one was stolen from the office i never had a single issue with any of those drives i miss them

Well, the LiteOn won’t burn CDs very well. The Sammy 203B is the better CD burner, Pio 212 is the better low speed DVD burner and known for burning junk media fairly well. The 203B and 212 should be fairly durable, LiteOn doesn’t have the best reputation on durability (never personally had a problem though). The 203B and one of the others might be your best bet for overall media coverage, I wouldn’t bother with a CD burner personally.

so which of the 2 samsung or pioneer is a better cd burner?? id like to have 3 burners total… which three should i go with then… 2 pioneer’s and one sammy or 1 pioneer, 1 sammy, and something else?? what would be my best combo of three?? and in which order would you rank them in case i cant do three (depending on new mobo and case) and have to stick with 2… i assume the sammy and the pioneer for having 2 drives…

for reading bad media (mny daughter tends to scratch up our dvd’s pretty bad so i always end up copying my copies lol) which is going to read the worst discs?? i heard the sammy was not great with bad discs reading wise?? what drive excels in this area…

also i have read on cd info that some say the lg is a good cd burner but it’s firmware it “locked” i guess that means it cant be upgraded then??

thanks again for all the info

[QUOTE=armada;1973041]for reading bad media (mny daughter tends to scratch up our dvd’s pretty bad so i always end up copying my copies lol) which is going to read the worst discs?? i heard the sammy was not great with bad discs reading wise?? what drive excels in this area… [/QUOTE]The 203B is actually considered a good drive for reading problem discs, mine tends to be kinda slow but def is a good reader. Not really sure how the Pioneer rates but LiteOns tend to be pretty good with problem discs as well.

[QUOTE=armada;1973041]also i have read on cd info that some say the lg is a good cd burner but it’s firmware it “locked” i guess that means it cant be upgraded then??[/QUOTE]I believe they would mean the firmware can’t be modified, it can be upgraded though.

[QUOTE=armada;1973041]so which of the 2 samsung or pioneer is a better cd burner?? id like to have 3 burners total… which three should i go with then… 2 pioneer’s and one sammy or 1 pioneer, 1 sammy, and something else?? what would be my best combo of three?? and in which order would you rank them in case i cant do three (depending on new mobo and case) and have to stick with 2… i assume the sammy and the pioneer for having 2 drives… [/QUOTE]From what I’ve seen Sammy drives can’t be beat for burning CDs, not by anything made anymore at least(Plextor Premium has some prettier burns I’m sure). Personally I’d buy one of each of the 3 if you’re gonna buy 3 drives, I’d say from what you said Sammy and Pio would suit you best if you stick to 2.

[QUOTE=armada;1973041]also i have read on cd info that some say the lg is a good cd burner[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, I have an GSA-H62N and it’s excellent burning cds especially at lower speed (8x) :clap:; and as chaosoffar2k said, the LiteOn is not a very good cd burner.

[QUOTE=armada;1973041]for reading bad media[/QUOTE]

Well, the LG is very good reading damaged DVD discs, but not very good reading damaged cds. I have a Pioneer 112D and it’s very good reading damaged cds, so I think that the 212 should perform the same.