Need to find out when a disc was created based on serial/dye numbers on disc

vbimport

Trying to authenticate the timeframe that two discs were created based on the physical numbers printed on the center of the disc. Wondering if anyone here would be able to assist based on the number formats or can point me to a reference? These CD-Rs have no branding/labeling on them whatsoever other than the numbers.

Can you post the pictures of both serial numbers?

Here they are - all I have is xeroxes at the moment so I apologize for the image quality.

Both media were probably made in 1999.

Thanks for the quick reply! can you describe what makes you think that?

You can determine the age of almost any Ritek made media quite easily by the numbers in the middle of the hub code.
9120723 = 23.7.1999

I am not so sure in the case of the Verbatim CD-R, but number “9” in the beginning of the hub code leads me to believe that this medium was made in 1999 too (I have several old Verbatims from that period and their serial numbers begin with “8” or “9” too).

May I ask you - why do you need to know that?

The timeframe of when a disc could have been created can be important in a legal matter. The manufacturing info just helps to provide a frame of reference (for example if the media was created in 2005 but someone claims they were burned in 1999, that would be an issue).

Are there any places I can look up such information about disc numbering conventions? I’ve done a lot of googling but your info above is the first time I’ve seen dates associated with the numbering so clearly. May I ask how you learned of this?

[QUOTE=dagardc;2604227]Are there any places I can look up such information about disc numbering conventions? I’ve done a lot of googling but your info above is the first time I’ve seen dates associated with the numbering so clearly. May I ask how you learned of this?[/QUOTE]

Some partial informations can be found here:
http://www.pcdvd.com.tw/printthread.php?t=544058

Thanks again Pepst. Out of curiosity, in your example of 9[U]12[/U]0723 = 23.7.1999, the month and day are obvious but what would the 12 signify? I’ve never seen a date format split up that way.

[QUOTE=dagardc;2604552]Thanks again Pepst. Out of curiosity, in your example of 9[U]12[/U]0723 = 23.7.1999, the month and day are obvious but what would the 12 signify? I’ve never seen a date format split up that way.[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry. I made a mistake. 9120723 = 07.12.1999
:doh: