Need to decide today: Which 8x DVDR

vbimport

Hey all, been reading the forums for a while now, only decided to join yesterday :slight_smile:

Anyway, I need to decide which DVD writer to get as I am ordering a load of other stuff too, and I wanna add this to the order too :slight_smile:

Taking a look around the forums, I have come to the conclusion that the NEC 2500A is the best 8x drive for writing, as it is best with a lot of media etc, and produces few errors, but is very poor at reading.
While the Liteon 812S is better at reading, not so good at writing.

I am willing to consider any drive on the market capable of 8x DVD +/- R writing, so please please please offer suggestions as to which writer to get :slight_smile:

I will most likely be coupling the drive with a Liteon 52x writer or 52x combi so reading ability isnt all that important, although its nice :slight_smile: Which of these to get though?

I would like the drive to be pretty good with media, and capable of ripping damages cd’s well.

Since its sharing with a standard writer, ripping of protected cd’s isnt all that important, is it?

All of the information on here conflicts with various writers so bad, making it really hard to settle on a model, but I will consider anything on the market, so please help me all you can :slight_smile:

i just bought the nec 2500a along with the lite-on 5232k dvdrom/cdrw and i have no regrets. you get a better cd burner with the lite-on and a better dvd burner with the nec and you can do on the fly copying if you so desire.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing :slight_smile:

I am thinking of…

Liteon SOHC-5232K
Liteon SOHC-812S

Total = Ă‚ÂŁ106.93

or

Liteon SOHC-5232K
NEC ND-2500A

Total = Ă‚ÂŁ102.33

I am leaning towards getting the two liteons as they are both good at reading various media in different scenarios, but the liteon isnt as good as the NEC when it comes to writing, although it isnt too far off.

Shame the liteons dont match, or do they?

LiteOn + NEC = :bow:

How about getting the 812S AND the 2500A? Now you’re set for Pi/Po scanning and maybe (just maybe) a burner that’s upgradable to dual layer.

The 812 is a fine CDRW drive

i wanted to stick with lite-on but the write quality of the nec was the deciding factor for me. i was also upgrading a cd burner so i wanted to get the fastest available which looked to be the lite-on 5232k.

you would be happy with either combination.

There is chances that the 812S may be upgradable to dual layer?

Is this drive as good as ripping protected cd’s as the 5232K ?

If it is then I will buy it and the 2500A :slight_smile:

edit: btw held off buying one today, to get opinions from here :slight_smile:

ive done some reviews and im stuck on the same thing as well, if ur curious check these reviews out, on the NEC 2500A that should seriously help u out. and also go to newegg and read about their user reviews, theres about 80 of them i think. www.cdrinfo.com www.cdfreaks.com www.trustedreviews.com
www.cdrlabs.com - no review yet for the nec but im hopin soon.

these are my two choices, NEC 2500A or the LDW-811S, i dont want the 812s cause i hear it doesnt support bitsetting and it has worst writing quality than the 811s, so thats pretty bad as it is, and thers no really officially good review cept envynews but they dont do much testing, only very lite compared to the other websites ive listed, and i think they rate their products too highly. cant really include them as an official comparison.

I NEED AN ANSWER AND A REASON WHICH ONE NEC OR THE LITEON. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. NEWEGG HAS IT ON SALE FOR $80 free s/h fedex.

If you want burn quality, get the NEC, it’s a no brainer.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]LiteOn + NEC = :bow:

How about getting the 812S AND the 2500A? Now you’re set for Pi/Po scanning and maybe (just maybe) a burner that’s upgradable to dual layer.

The 812 is a fine CDRW drive [/B]

Do you totally recommend I get both drives, the 2500A and the 812S ?

Is the 812S as good a ripper as the 5232K?

I know the NEC isnt a very good reader, but I don’t really want to couple it with an 812S if it can’t manage to rip things the 5232K can (protected games/audio and damaged cd’s mainly).

I am willing to go and buy both if they will be great together, even though the 812S wouldn’t be used for burning all that much, if its a really good reader I’ll go with it.

i personally see no reason to buy the 812 as the burn quality is sub par. the nec is a better quality burner and that was the most important thing to me. i see no point in spending the extra money to get the 812 over the 5232.

there are rumors of both the nec and 812 being able to do dual layer but if you truely want dual layer i would wait. for me it was a no brainer because i wasn’t going to pay the premium prices for the dual layer media.

Originally posted by jerome69
[B]i personally see no reason to buy the 812 as the burn quality is sub par. the nec is a better quality burner and that was the most important thing to me. i see no point in spending the extra money to get the 812 over the 5232.

there are rumors of both the nec and 812 being able to do dual layer but if you truely want dual layer i would wait. for me it was a no brainer because i wasn’t going to pay the premium prices for the dual layer media. [/B]

I have both and the 812 is not subpar…its not as good writer as the nec but still burns well below error standards, And it does a hell of alot better at ripping…plus you can use kprobe with it.

The issue i have with my NEC is unless you use hacked firmware your probably not going to get a update.So for me some new media types dont do well at all in my NEC.

Every drive its seems has strengths and weaknesses between the two i see no real advantage so its personal choice.

The best solution of course would be to have both…but that is a cost you have to be willing to incur. hehe i even have a Pioneer 106D just for older cheaper media…:wink: