Need to change serial number on NEC ND-4570A

vbimport

Hello everybody!

Our customer have a very special device (tomographer) with built-in optical drive NEC ND-4570A. Unfortunately the drive is dead now (faulty main chip) and they need to replace it but it can use only this drive model with specific serial number (and this special SN raises the drive cost dramatically). They have two working ND-4570A and asked us to help them adapt one of these drives for this tomographer.

How to modify the existing SN in EEPROM of the drive? I’ve heard it can be done via PLSCSI but I can’t figure out how…

If it were LiteOn then LtnFlash could help, but it’s NEC…

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a job for Liggy. :iagree:

There is an [U]unofficial/leaked[/U] version of NECFlash modified to perform a full dump, including the calibration data. It’s used when crossflashing NEC/Optiarc drives (e.g. ND-3550 to 4550), so you won’t find it here (NEC’s lawyers wrote CDFreaks a letter, so discussion of the subject had to be banned :(). You can probably find links to it via Google, maybe on a Russian forum. :wink:

If it does a full dump from the drive, you might be able to edit the serial number then flash everything back to the drive. (Unless there is a checksum to block it.)

Alternatively, if you can do a full dump from the faulty drive, you could ([U]in theory[/U]) replace its motherboard with one from a healthy ND-4570A and flash it with the dump from the faulty drive (no hex editing required).

This is a real CDFreak’s project. :cool: Good luck. :flower:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2750302]Sounds like a job for Liggy. :iagree:[/QUOTE]
We’re already in PM contact :wink:

There is an [U]unofficial/leaked[/U] version of NECFlash modified to perform a full dump, including the calibration data. It’s used when crossflashing NEC/Optiarc drives (e.g. ND-3550 to 4550), so you won’t find it here

Dumping has never been a problem and if required I can supply people with such a version

If it does a full dump from the drive, you might be able to edit the serial number then flash everything back to the drive. (Unless there is a checksum to block it.)

The full dump is nice to verify the current serial number. But we already switched to PLSCSI and a simple command that just dumps the memory containing the serial number :wink:

Alternatively, if you can do a full dump from the faulty drive, you could ([U]in theory[/U]) replace its motherboard with one from a healthy ND-4570A and flash it with the dump from the faulty drive (no hex editing required).

This probably will not work as you would also overwrite calibration data on a full flash. I know the command that should overwrite the drive’s serial number with a given value. If this doesn’t work, I will need to investigate further :slight_smile:

[EDIT]Also the serial number printed on the drive doesn’t necessarily have to be the one that’s used internally. In that case you first need to find the serial number that the drive reported before[/EDIT]

First I wanted to unsolder flash chip, connect it to an external hardware and change SN manually, but I really busy with repair of printers/MFPs and just don’t have time for this kind of work. Also I’ve thought about the same thing of checksum but don’t know if NEC/Optiarc drives are using it.

Yeah, I know :slight_smile: But in this case SN is known (and quite weird) - STTTS000000

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2750334]First I wanted to unsolder flash chip, connect it to an external hardware and change SN manually, but I really busy with repair of printers/MFPs and just don’t have time for this kind of work. Also I’ve thought about the same thing of checksum but don’t know if NEC/Optiarc drives are using it.
[/QUOTE]
Much safer to ask Liggy. :iagree:

If it can be done, he will know how to do it. And if it’s impossible, he will know why. Shame NEC stopped making new toys for him to play with. :frowning:

Everything worked OK, tomographer recognized the drive properly - danke schön, [B]Liggy[/B]!