Need to capture video from previously burned nero dvds - need help!

vbimport

Hi! I have a problem that I have been trying to solve for some time and looking for any help I can get. My son takes music lessons which I record and burn to a dvd using Nero. (I have Smart Suite which includes NeroVision Express, Nero Express, Nero Backup, Nero Cover Designer, Nero PhotoSnap, Nero PhotoSnap Viewer, Nero Media Player). I have not saved the original video tapes that I use to record the lessons. We need to use parts of several lessons but I am unsure how, or if I can capture part of the video I have made into a DVD. Each DVD is approx. 1 hour long. Is there a way to pull the video from a DVD created in Nero, or several segments (3 - 5 minute segments) and use this new captured video to create a “Master DVD” for him to practice with, or for any other application I may want to use. My NeroVision Express is Version 3.1.0.16, Nero Express is 6.6.0.17, I have the version numbers for Nero Digital, Nero OEM, & Nero Media Player if you need them. I am burning to a Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S. If Nero is not the appropriate application, or if my version is not adequate, I am not opposed to purchasing something else that would get the job accomplished as I think this is something I will need over and over. I have tried to include as much information as I can about the software. The video file that I have created on the DVD is a VIDEO_TS folder with the following files: VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB, VTS_01.0.BUP & .IFO, VTS_01_1.VOB & _2.VOB & _3.VOB & _4.VOB & _5.VOB. Any advice, information, and assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

To do this you need a DVD authoring software. There are many available in the market, some also free.

[U]Take a look here[/U] to find a list of softwares :slight_smile:

I think I would start with something that is specifically designed to work with dvds and mpeg2 video. (dvds are mpeg2 in vob container files).

Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD will allow you to make the cuts you want and build a new dvd with minimum reencoding. There is a free trial available for you to test the program. http://www.womble.com/products/dvd.html

Thanks for the advice. I’ll definately look into it. I don’t mind the freebie software, but I know there is so much spyware loaded into most of it and after 2 horrible crashes in less than a year, I am pretty cautious about freebie software. I would almost rather purchase a product that is free of the spyware (although I know even purchased products contain some). I just had no idea of where to start with the type of files I had from the Nero created DVD. I figured capturing the video from that DVD and using it to create a new DVD in Nero was probably not do-able. Thanks again!

[quote=geno888;2073401]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

To do this you need a DVD authoring software. There are many available in the market, some also free.

[U]Take a look here[/U] to find a list of softwares :)[/quote]

Before I do to much work, maybe I should have asked if there was a software package that would allow me to do both things, burn my recorded video to DVD and to cut parts from recorded DVD’s to use in creating new DVD’s? Also, while I’m asking, occasionally, I use my digital camera to record my son, times when I hadn’t planned to video and don’t have my camcorder, but the camera records in Quicktime. Is there anything you can suggest to be able to convert these files to DVD and to do the same thing I am wanting to with my other DVD’s, select parts of them, sometimes several months after they have been created, to use in another DVD? I realize it sounds a little crazy, but sometimes they work on a piece of music and may have one part of it in 1 lesson, and not work on it again for several lessons. I would like to be able to go back and pick up the selected parts, when he is working on a whole song, so he don’t have to keep changing DVD’s to practice. Other times they play a song in a different variation and he works on the song using several different styles. (He plays fiddle, and it is not easy to duplicate a song you only heard once.) Thanks again for all of your help!

Hmm, if you want to import Quicktime files from a camcorder, you might want to look at Ulead Studio 11 Plus. One of our video editing moderators recommends it, though I haven’t used it myself.
http://www.ulead.com/vs/features_1.htm
This software has a free trial also, so you can try it out and see if it fits your needs.

It should be able to work with your current files as well, and allow you to create new dvds and burn to disk.

Thanks for all of your help. I wish I had found this site long ago. I can’t believe all of the help, and so quick to respond. Thanks so much!