Need The Best Firewall For Vista

Could anyone please give me the best firewall for vista. The vista firewall is extremely bad. I tried Zonealarm, but it is not for Vista. I would appreciate any feedback. :bow:

actually theres a vista compatible beta of zonealarm
http://www.zonealarm.com/beta/ , anyway i recommend kaspersky internet security , its excellent and is vista compatible too of course

thank you very much. i will give it a try

I still think zonealarm pro is a very good firewall. You will have to do some configuration on which progams can go onto the internet but I think it still worth it. But what version and series of zonealarm do you have you never mentioned the version or which product?

I’m using ZoneAlarm Pro for many years and I love the Expert firewall features, fits my need for securing local network (under a router) including IP/subnet/gateway restrictions for remote desktop access, print server, ftp server, web server etc.

Use a router with built in hardware firewall. Works for Vista, XP, 98, 2000, Workgroups, and any other flavor of Windows. It [I]might [/I] also work for Mac OSx, if a Macintosh ever needed a firewall…

No it isn’t. Microsoft’s firewall products are perfectly okay but they do need serious tweaking and expertise. See http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid45_gci1217062,00.html

Re: Need The Best Firewall For Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitiam4me
Could anyone please give me the best firewall for vista. The vista firewall is extremely bad.

No it isn’t. Microsoft’s firewall products are perfectly okay but they do need serious tweaking and expertise. See http://searchwindowssecurity.techtar…217062,00.html

HAHAHAHA that just tells us how worryingly bad freeware firewalls are.

you strut around telling other people freeware security is perfectly ok.

just who told you that you get the security microsoft say you have using freeware.

:disagree:

omg your burning a hole in my pocket

you either have NO money. Or no expertise in computing

I don’t know if they have ZoneAlarm pro working with vista but I would go with software but then use or get a good router that itself has a firewall and use both hardware and software firewall…that how I have my setup but I am using XP pro sp2 that is…

wow, people in here favor zonealarm which I have left and departed this software long ago. I am currently using Kaspersky and I love it. No more ZoneAlarm for me. I am a ZoneAlarm user from Version 5 to Version 7. I love Version 5 the best.

Well being as the last post before the post 9 hours ago in this thread was in June 2007, I think they should update no matter what they chose.

I’m using Nortons N360 for a firewall, Webroot Spy Sweeper and Super Ad Blocker for VISTA. the adblocker and the antispyware offer more protection than just a firewall as they consentrate on preventing problems rather than stopping them from happening once thay have started, which is kind of what i expect from ‘internet security’.

most likely we can 1 day rely on one piece of software. I wish i hadnt had a go at mr. belvedere for saying that window software is fine but it just ive read that stuff so many times and nearly belive it myself.

my friends say 'oh no its alright i have this awsome bt router withe built in hard ware and im running a virus program, But they alway complain about things like how the forum we run has so many adverts on it.

so i guess im just sensetive sry MR.

I’m still looking for a nice registy program for vista though

I don’t know if this counts or not, but when I used Vista, (I didn’t give it up because of anything bad), I used Comodo 2-way, but in basic, unless you are a real pro do not install it in Advanced mode, with Clamwin Anti-Virus. This is the combo I now use on my XP Pro 64 bit edition. I would use the same as I do on the 32 bit side, but I couldn’t get VCOM System Suite 8’s Net Defense 2-way Firewall to work in Vista, so didn’t think it would work in XP Pro 64.

I use MS Live One Care, its not RAM hungry and tested it myself using online security checks and it did very good. Plus it is very easy to use. Put McAfee to rest after 4 years of there protections.

in general it’s best to get a hardware firewall (aka a Router) as it supposedly blocks ALL incoming traffic unless the pc specifically asks for it from what i read about routers in general.

so unless you have a specific need for outbound blocking then a router is all you need… and there generally cheap nowadays for a Linksys brand which is pretty common and works well.

Comodo v3 NOT any flavor of v2! Top notch and free. Includes a HIPS application guard if you can stand the popups. Best firewall for XP is an unkown freebie called Online Armor. Tied Outpost for number 1 on the independent security software site, Matousec.com Firewall Ratings. But they’re still evaluating doing a Vista version.

I am also using Comodo firewall paired with Avast Free antivirus.

Both working VERY well on Vista Ultimate x86 and x64 and they are pretty light on resources, not that I care I have 8gb of ram :wink:

[QUOTE=bstrayman;1983808]Comodo v3 NOT any flavor of v2! Top notch and free. Includes a HIPS application guard if you can stand the popups. Best firewall for XP is an unkown freebie called Online Armor. Tied Outpost for number 1 on the independent security software site, Matousec.com Firewall Ratings. But they’re still evaluating doing a Vista version.[/QUOTE]