Need steps to uninstall old cd-rw drive

vbimport

this is my first time that i'm going to install a new cd-rw drive .. and i just want to make sure that i'm doing things right ..

i currently have a plextor 12/10/32A .. and i'm going to install my TDK 40/12/48 .. now before i install the new TDk .. what steps do i do to uninstall the old plextor?

here are the steps that i'm thinking of .. or perhaps u don't need any of this special stuff

1) add/remove hardware to remove the old plextor
2) then install new cdrw?

is there anything else needed? i'm asking this kuz all the online manuals don't give instructions on how to "uninstall your old cd-rw" .. it's like they don't expect u to have 1 ;/ .. please leave a response .. i don't want to screw up my computer ;]

Unless I’m confused. Just remove your old cd-rw from your computer. Theres no uninstalling going on. You could always just put in your TDK and leave your Plextor in there.

I think (not sure) that unless you got SCSI drive, then you just need to remove the hardware profile From Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and uninstall any drive specific programs that you installed (like Plex Manager for example).

Other than that, I think driver support is pretty much standard in Windows and that’s why you never have to install them?

Removeing the plex software would be a good idea, but as far as removeing the hardware profiles this is not needed. Just remove the old drive and replace it with the new one. Windows should take care of the rest. (I don’t think that I need to say that you should have the comp turned off when you do this.)

so by just shutting off my computer . taking out my plextor … installing the new one … windows will take care of everything? all the switch a roo’s and what not … ?? and it’s all set?

you should check the DMA optie, and uncheck Autostart for the new drive

windows will take care of the rest

WHat windows do you use??

you should check the DMA optie, and uncheck Autostart for the new drive

whats the DMA optie? how do i uncheck Autostart … and i’m running XP PROFESSIONAL

so by just shutting off my computer . taking out my plextor … installing the new one … windows will take care of everything?

Yes,pull out the old drive,put in the new one and thats it,windows will do the rest.

all the switch a roo’s and what not … ?? and it’s all set?

U’ll have to reset your DMA setting,goto device manager,then cdrom,settings,it’s in there.

uncheck Autostart for the new drive

What?Please explain?

Your old Plexy is one of the best and most reliable drives out there, try to find it a good home. That same model still goes for more than many newer faster brands.

Make sure the jumper settings are the same as the drive you are removing. If your old drive was set to slave, make sure the new one is also set to slave. This will prevent problems if there is another device on that chain.