Need Some Input ?!?

[I]Just out of curiosity and for info on future firmware
updates ext ext.

Whats the difference between - 451S - 851S - 812S writers :confused:

What hardware, Firmware, Software differences are there between
the three :confused: And which one would rate the best all round copier between them ?

I was gonna buy the 812S but when i went to the store they had only the 851S so i bought that.

I know the difference between the 812S and 851S is 8X -R but nothing else.[/I]

Originally posted by M4D
[B][I]Just out of curiosity and for info on future firmware
updates ext ext.

Whats the difference between - 451S - 851S - 812S writers :confused:

What hardware, Firmware, Software differences are there between
the three :confused: And which one would rate the best all round copier between them ?

I was gonna buy the 812S but when i went to the store they had only the 851S so i bought that.

I know the difference between the 812S and 851S is 8X -R but nothing else.[/I] [/B]

AFAIK…

• 451/851/812 all have the same hardware
  • 812’s FW doesn’t support bitsetting yet
  • 812 does 8x -R (but you knew that)
  • As for quality differences in how the 812 firmware burns, that’s not easily answered since people have different experiences. Plus, there’s already enough variation between the firmwares for one drive type that a comparison won’t really be meaningful.
  • As for other drive features, like reading and copy protection, they’re all the same.

There really isn’t a big difference… well, except for 8x -R, which, for many, is a big difference. :slight_smile:

PUH may be different on the 812. Other differences may also exist. We know that the R&D folks have been working on the 812 for quite a while working out some “issues”, so it must have a few differences.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
PUH may be different on the 812. Other differences may also exist. We know that the R&D folks have been working on the 812 for quite a while working out some “issues”, so it must have a few differences.

I see. That makes sense, I suppose, as attempts at 451/851@812 haven’t been as successful as people have hoped.

Yes, the fact that a drive may be capable of accepting firmware/programming from another model doesn’t mean it will work out well. If you want 8x8 burning, there are easier ways to get it than messing with a 451/851.
My impresion of the few rumors I’ve heard were that the troubles with the 812 had more to do with the hardware changes and not with the 8x -R speed burning. It’s possible that the 812 uses some firmware tweaks that the 851 doesn’t need. So there may be a lower-than-hoped-for percentage of 851 drives that will perform well with 812 firmware. As for the 812 itself, I don’t think I want to be the first on the block with one of them.