Need some help with NECND2500A PLZ

vbimport

Hello All!!! :slight_smile:

Being a Newbie I have some questions that I would like answered if anybody has the time.

Question #1

How can you tell how fast your burn speed is? Can you monitor the burn speed Real-Time?

Question #2

Would the firmware upgrade be nescessary if my drive was mfg in 2004? Will the firmware upgrade change the burn speed? make it any faster? What does it do?

Question #3

How can I tweak my burner(s) 2500A and 1100 to burn the fastest possible? and with what media?

Irocdaparty

$97.00 USD NEC ND2500A in my new machine, works great with DVD X-COPY PLATINUM . Absolutely NO COASTERS from the 2500A , or the stock HP 300c (NEC 1100) drive. I use TDK DVD+R 4x, Ritek RIDATA DVD+R 4x, TDK DVD+R 4x and have had no coasters at all. Very happy with NEC drives.

Thank you in advance for your responses. CDFREAKS ROCKS!!!

P4 3Ghz with HTT,160gig HDD, 1 Gig PC3200 DDR SDRAM crucial memory ,Nec 2500A, Nec1100(HP 300c),Nvidia GeForce 5700 AGP

Originally posted by irocdaparty
[B]Hello All!!! :slight_smile:

Being a Newbie I have some questions that I would like answered if anybody has the time.

Question #1

How can you tell how fast your burn speed is? Can you monitor the burn speed Real-Time?

It depends on application you use. Some of them display it in real-time (for example XCDRoast on Linux) and other just tell you at the beginning that will record CD/DVD in certain speed and after butrning data you can calculate if it was really in such speed or maybe slower/faster.

Question #2

Would the firmware upgrade be nescessary if my drive was mfg in 2004? Will the firmware upgrade change the burn speed? make it any faster? What does it do?

Probably in your case FW upddate is not needed right noww because latest firmware is from 8-th January so you have it. But in the future when new firmwares will be available you can update firmware in your drive.

Generally new firmwares have both - fixes for certain functionality (write speed of some media, problems with burning or readin some media) and sometimes new functionality (possibility to burn some media faster etc.). Sadly most drive producers don’t release any changelog for new firmware release or tell only “support for more media added”. So the best thing is to read such forums like this and know from other users what you can expect from new firmware.

Question #3

How can I tweak my burner(s) 2500A and 1100 to burn the fastest possible? and with what media?

Generally buy good brands and media certified for maximum speed supported by your drive. With Nec 2500A you can burn fastest at x8 so buy such media from TDK, Verbatim and few others well known brands.

Thanks for the response.:bigsmile:

Does anyone have any good 4x or 8x media experiences with the 2500A they would recommend.

Thanks again

David :smiley:

Originally posted by irocdaparty
[B]Thanks for the response.:bigsmile:

Does anyone have any good 4x or 8x media experiences with the 2500A they would recommend.

Thanks again

David :smiley: [/B]

For 8x burning I only use Verbatim Datalife Plus (Taiyo Yuden +R and -R) media at the moment, but I’m going to order a spindle of 8x Ricohs (JPNR02) sometime next week or so. Just stick with the advice of using good quality media and you’ll hardly ever have a problem with the drive.