Need some help in doing VHS/Camcorder --> AVI Conversion ..!

Hi guys. Well I just got my EasyCAP USB Video Capture Adapter today, and wanted to try storing some of my childhood Camcorder moments in AVI format on my PC, but I am having a few hiccups. I’m a n00b at this :stuck_out_tongue:

1. I need some good small software to capture the video, and save it in AVI format. No fancy video editing stuff is needed. Simply dumping the video in AVI format will do for me. I already know of DScaler, and STOIK Capturer. Please suggest me some other similar tools too.

2. The video I am trying to capture is Interlaced. I need to de-interlace it. I have already tried enabling the Deinterlace filter in ffdshow’s encoding settings, but its not working. How do I deinterlace easily ?

3. Some someone tell me how to properly enable De-interlacing in DScaler too ?

4. Lastly, I am having this strange problem. Video Capture video preview is very smooth in Windows XP, under all programs, but in Vista, the video preview is very slow. You see the frame change like once in every 10-15 seconds !!! What could be the problem here ?

Thanx for the all the help people :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I am having this strange problem in Windows Vista, when trying to capture video using my new EasyCAP USB Video Capturing Adapter. Video Capture video preview is very smooth in Windows XP, under all programs, but in Vista, the video preview is very slow. You see the frame change like once in every 10-15 seconds! Sometimes there is no video feed at all !!! What could be the problem here ?

any help people ?

I’m not understanding how if you are getting this off your camcorder that you need to deinterlace. The only reason you should need to deinterlace captured video from a camera, is if you are trying to convert the video into screen captures for photographs…

You can try virtualvcr, huffyuv, virtualdub, and numerous others for capture.

I wouldn’t deinterlace, you lose a lot of information and the fluid movement. And you’ll just end up adding interlacing flags back in, if you want 30 frames per second. (I’m talking NTSC, but the same goes for PAL at 25 frames/sec).

Just author it at the native 60 fields per second (50 for PAL). (Which is what pretty much every old video camera is recording at). That’ll look great on a tv in interlaced mode.

The only time you want to get rid of interlacing is if the source is film, and you want to reduce the amount of space it takes up on a dvd. (That’s called IVTC, but that’s not what you’re doing anyway).

Well, ok, the only other time, is if you can’t stand the flickering on your progressive computer monitor. But you’ll lose a bunch of picture quality that way.

Alright, the only other, other time, is if your codec doesn’t like interlacing. In which case I’d find one that can handle it. I suspect x264 will, and it’s got fantastic compression, and should play a champ in standard definition. Or good ol’ crusty mpeg - videohelp.com list a free encoder or two which are supposed to give pretty decent results.

If you must deinterlace, you probably wont have much luck with doing it in player software. On the other hand, if you use a bobber, resize, and double the framerate… but you’ll need a strong machine (I don’t know if they make 'em that strong yet, because I don’t bother with it), and the detail will get fuzzed up.

You probably need to filter and re-encode to a new file (save the original). Read up on Avisynth (not nearly as bad as it looks), and various crazy deinterlace filters (which are as bad as they look, and are often referred to by the way they go about the job - instead of “deinterlace”).

As for problems on Vista… well… Vista bites… what did you expect? :slight_smile: