Need some help about using spare space in DVDs

Ok here’s my problem, some of my PS2 games are only about 1GB or 2GB, i wanna be able to use the leftover space to store some of my files, i don’t wish to buy new DVDs and i’ve already used up the space on all my hdd as well as 7 of my external hdd, yes i have a lot of crap :stuck_out_tongue:

so anyway i wanna use the Nero multisession feature to add files to DVDs, now i wouldn’t worry about this if it was just a data disc but since the PS2 discs are games (images) that will need to boot up, i was wondering if me adding the files will affect this? Does it still boot up like normal and the added files won’t affect it or does it read the added files as well and then shows an error reading the disc? Plz help.

[QUOTE=chaoscreater;1967903]Ok here’s my problem, some of my PS2 games are only about 1GB or 2GB, i wanna be able to use the leftover space to store some of my files, i don’t wish to buy new DVDs and i’ve already used up the space on all my hdd as well as 7 of my external hdd, yes i have a lot of crap :stuck_out_tongue:

so anyway i wanna use the Nero multisession feature to add files to DVDs, now i wouldn’t worry about this if it was just a data disc but since the PS2 discs are games (images) that will need to boot up, i was wondering if me adding the files will affect this? Does it still boot up like normal and the added files won’t affect it or does it read the added files as well and then shows an error reading the disc? Plz help.[/QUOTE]

That will not work. :iagree:

damn, well wat if i try to burn 2 iso files on 1 disc? I.e 2 games? Well that work or can i somehow boot 2 games separately on the same disc? Maybe using homebrew??

[QUOTE=chaoscreater;1968516][B]damn, well wat if i try to burn 2 iso files on 1 disc? I.e 2 games?[/B] Well that work or can i somehow boot 2 games separately on the same disc? Maybe using homebrew??[/QUOTE]

What should that give? For backups you already have made (so it seems)??
The drive/console cannot magically mount ISOs, so that is a no-go.

oh man…about adding files using multisession, wat if i create a seperate folder? Some ppl at Afterdawn forum says that it’s just like adding dummy files or something like that so it shouldn’t interfere, i’m not trying to put off this forum or anything but i got 2 totally different advices here, will adding the files to the disc really interfere? But they’re not image files or anything, and if i added a new folder for it, that shouldn’t interfere rite?

Yes you can add folders to your PS2 Iso and it won’t interfere. :slight_smile:

[quote=chaoscreater;1968602]oh man…about adding files using multisession…[/quote]Multisession is NOT recommended for DVDs, unless you like to lose the earlier sessions a bit later on.

Surely you can burn all the ISOs/folders/files in one session?

:iagree:

Multisession is NOT recommended for DVDs, unless you like to lose the earlier sessions a bit later on.

what do u mean lose the earlier sessions later on? And i’m talking about PS2 games i’ve already burned, or games that i bought, i wanna use the spare space, so i can’t burn all the iso in one go, i’m only able to add files to it and since burning 2 iso files won’t work, i guess all i can do is just add a folder with the extra files to the disc.

Dude, where do you live? Here in the USA I pay less than $.30 per Verbatim blank and wouldn’t dream of jamming stuff in ‘just to fill up the empty space’…

New Zealand, and i only have a few files to burn so i don’t want to buy DVD discs, plus it’s always good to know if i can use up spare spaces.

one last question, is it possible for me to put a dvd movie onto the disc and still play it on my dvd player? I understand i can’t burn it since the disc is already burned, but adding files to it using multisession would still work, except to my knowledge u have to burn the video/movie to view on the dvd player instead of just drag & drop the data files, well is it somehow possible? Maybe i can make the neccesary files and drag and drop to the disc or something?

[quote=chaoscreater;1968741]what do u mean lose the earlier sessions later on? And i’m talking about PS2 games i’ve already burned, or games that i bought, i wanna use the spare space, so i can’t burn all the iso in one go, i’m only able to add files to it and since burning 2 iso files won’t work, i guess all i can do is just add a folder with the extra files to the disc.[/quote]Multisession works [I]reliably[/I] only for CDs, and perhaps DVD+RW. By “lose the earlier sessions” I mean they may not be readable after you add another session to the disc.

Movie files you could add if they are MPEG4-based (XviD, DivX) or MPEG2-based (.mpg, .mpeg) and not over ~2 GB in size. If your DVD player will recognise these filetypes then it should display the relevant video files when you put the disc in.

Basically you can store your ISO/folders/files mixture safely on DVD, and probably have them all recognisable, [I][B]as long as you burn them all in one session in the normal way[/B][/I] (and just forget “drag & drop”, please?).

Adding them from time to time with multisession is going to bring you trouble, unless you use DVD+RW discs.

[QUOTE=chaoscreater;1968834]one last question, is it possible for me to put a dvd movie onto the disc and still play it on my dvd player? I understand i can’t burn it since the disc is already burned, but adding files to it using multisession would still work, except to my knowledge u have to burn the video/movie to view on the dvd player instead of just drag & drop the data files, well is it somehow possible? Maybe i can make the neccesary files and drag and drop to the disc or something?[/QUOTE]

Nope, you only can use Multisession if you have used it right from the start, means by burning session 1.

oh ok i get it, thx a lot guys…i actually have one more question, i have some discs that are unreadable, they were burned ages ago but i would like to get some of the data from the discs, is there a software that can do this or maybe something like a disc cleaner? There’re 2 types of unreadable discs i would like to recover data from:

1. disc 1 is readable, i can see all the folders etc but when i click “ANY” of the folders, it takes a really really long time to load and it just freezes, this happens for every folder i try to click, or any file, i can see the contents but it just freezes when i try to click on them or perform any actions.

2. disc 2 is totally unreadable, the DVD writer makes a loud noise, like the kind when your PC is booting up or under heavy stress or performance, after inserting the disc i tried clicking the disc drive but it just freezes, it doesn’t load at all.

So is there a way i can recover these files using either a software or hardware? I saw this hardware thing that cleans your disc and says it can recover corrupted discs or something but i forgot what it’s called so i have no idea now…

or is there any program that can make them usable, e.g. multisession?

You may try with isobuster, isopuzzle or other such tools.

Best would be to create an iso on hdd and then burning that onto a good media.
Make sure you set the read speed low, eg. 2x or 4x, and try with different drives.

Hi,[QUOTE=chaoscreater;1969422]i actually have one more question, i have some discs that are unreadable, they were burned ages ago but i would like to get some of the data from the discs, is there a software that can do this or maybe something like a disc cleaner? There’re 2 types of unreadable discs i would like to recover data from:
(…)

So is there a way i can recover these files using either a software or hardware?[/quote]Why are the discs unreadable?
Because of being scratched? Then polishing might help. No machine needed, simple toothpaste and soft cloth should help. See also this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/fixing-scratched-cds-dvds-game-discs-235410/

I saw this hardware thing that cleans your disc and says it can recover corrupted discs or something but i forgot what it’s called so i have no idea now…
see above. Only useful if the disc is heavily scratched.

If the discs became unreadable because of poor media quality or storage conditions, then you may try different drives to read them. Samsung and Liteon DVD writers are known to be good readers.

Please check the MID of your discs with DVD Identifier or Nero CD/DVD Speed (Disc Info Tab there). If it says RITEK G05, then back them up onto known quality discs as soon as possible.

or is there any program that can make them usable, e.g. multisession?
No software can deal with unreadable discs. Additionally, have a look at DVDisaster.

Michael