Need some equipment advice

In another post I mentioned that Mitsubishi replaced my dead 6 year old DLP with a brand new one for a very nominal fee. I am happy about that, and now I’d like to get two new items; a new AVR that has say 3-4 HDMI IN and of course 1-HDMI OUT. The other item will probably be a new DVD player and since it seems to be the trend, a Blu-Ray DVD player.

I’m not going to kill myself $$$$ with a audiophile/videophile AVR, I just want something that will work with my current speaker setup (Bose Front/Rears, Infinity Center/Sub). Want something that is HDMI 1.3a even though my new TV is 3D capable. BB has a few AVRs in the $300 range that seem to fit the bill but I’m not sure whether I’d go for a Yamaha (again) or Denon or Onkyo.

With regard to a Blue-Ray player, I’ve heard that I should stay away from Sony as their quality has slipped? So what about Panasonic or LG or whatever? Looking to spend around $150.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doc

I have 2 Panny BD60’s and love them. There is a newer model, you’ll have to check, but it’s under $150 and plays everything including AVCHD. Make sure whatever you get, it plays AVCHD format. All the Hd camcorders and point-n-shoot cameras use that format and if you rip and burn bluray discs it its used.

[QUOTE=ricoman;2523276]I have 2 Panny BD60’s and love them. There is a newer model, you’ll have to check, but it’s under $150 and plays everything including AVCHD. Make sure whatever you get, it plays AVCHD format. All the Hd camcorders and point-n-shoot cameras use that format and if you rip and burn bluray discs it its used.[/QUOTE]

Belated Update: Wound up going the Costco route LOL. Picked up a Yamaha HTR-5063, and a Sony BDP-BX57 (which was on sale for $199 from $229). Have updated the Sony’s firmware a couple of times, but I might return it because the front drive door cover has fallen off 2-3 times. I have connected an ethernet Cat5 cable to it as well and it immediately recognized the internet connection and provided a full menu. Both the Yamaha and Sony units are 3D capable but I haven’t bought the 3D module for the TV yet. Still seems like 3D isn’t making the impact that BlueRay has.

Sony BDP-BX57 (which was on sale for $199 from $229). Have updated the Sony’s firmware a couple of times, but I might return it because the front drive door cover has fallen off 2-3 times.

If you’ve updated the firmware you might as well return it because no doubt by now Sony has infected it with Cinavia

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2577691]If you’ve updated the firmware you might as well return it because no doubt by now Sony has infected it with Cinavia…[/QUOTE]

So are all Sony DVD players that are WiFi capable using this or are all new DVD players regardless of manufacturer using it? Don’t recall any on-screen mention of this and I did archive my Robin Hood (supposedly watermarked) on a DVD and it plays just fine.

What’s the alternative assuming Costco gives me some latitude in picking another brand? Vizio, Panny?

Should note that Costco is unbelievable when it comes to exchanges. Brought the Sony back tonight, full refund, no questions asked. I would’ve bought another unit tonight but I want to make sure that it is 3D ready out of the box, and also it must be Network/Internet ready out of the box like the Sony was. Several units they had needed Lan adapters sold online.

Well I can’t say all Sonys are affected, but they are the ones pushing it the hardest, and as far as I know they are the first to install it by upgrade (the PS3 was their first target, probably because it’s their most used BluRay player). There’s a pretty good discussion of Cinavia over on Doom9 and the DVD Fab forums that include lists of infected devices.

So last night I repacked the sony in its box with everything that came with it, brought it back to Costco and got a full refund even though I purchased it last June… thank you very much. Looked around on their shelves and wasn’t impressed because a couple of the non-sony units needed to have an “optional” LAN module ($$$). Came home and did some research, and ordered a new Panny BDT210 from Amazon. Since I have a Mits DLP that likes something called “checkerboard” relative to 3D… I decided this would be the better route considering I didn’t want to spend over $200. The specs on the 210 were well-received over in the AVS forum too, and it won a couple of awards at the CES. Should have the new machine in a couple of days.