Need Some DVD-Ram Help

vbimport

Heya guys,

I was bought a Panasonic DVD camcorder for my birthday and have since made many DVD’s in it. Only problem is I can not get them to play in my computer. I want to be able to get the DVD footage onto my computer and edit it and upload it to the web.
Is there anything I can download (pref free trial to stat with maybe) to can enable me to get this footage, or is there something else I can do to enable my computer to read the footage.
I am running windows XP, if this is of any help.
Please help me guys

Hailee

x

Can you tell us the make and model number of your PC DVD drive? It might not accept DVD-RAM…

Um all I know (sorry I am a bit thick) is that its built into my comp which says Orex Pnetium 4 on it, and it says DVD rom on it, i guess this means I cnt use the dvd in it?
I also have a USB connection for the camera, but I cant get the file to play on the computer that way either, is there anything I can do about this??

Hailee x

OK Hailee - let’s leave the USB thing for later :wink: .

If you can download CD-DVD Speed from here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

… fire it up and it will tell you what the make of your drive is.

Did you install the software that came with the camcorder? It should allow you to capture the video.

It didnt come with any software!!

I will check out my drive now xx

according to my computer the drive is a JLMS XJ-HD166S

does this help anyone??

xx

I believe it’s a LiteOn DVD-ROM drive…and as far as I can see, doesn’t support DVD-RAM.

Is it definitely DVD-RAM discs you use in your camcorder, or can you use regular DVD media also?

I can put DVD-RW in the camera, just the ones I got supplied were DVD-RAM.
I wil buy DVD-RW in future, but I need to get the footage off the DVD-RAMS. Seeing as my computers DVD drive dosent supprt DVD-RAM Is there any way I can get the footage through USB? Maybe a fil ype converter or something?

xx

I beg to differ :slight_smile: The 166S was made by JVC/Liteon Joint venture and supports reading DVD-RAM discs. At least with original firmware. OEM versions might come with that feature disabled…

@Hailz:
Could you please provide information about the firmware of that drive? Get Nero Info Tool from hereand run it. Post a screenshot from the “drive properties” register please.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2043750]I beg to differ :slight_smile: The 166S was made by JVC/Liteon Joint venture and supports reading DVD-RAM discs. At least with original firmware. OEM versions might come with that feature disabled…

Michael[/QUOTE]

Great! So if Hailee’s drive isn’t OEM, she should have no problem then :wink:

Funny…all the specs links I found said no DVD-RAM support. Ah well, live and learn :wink:

Perhaps a DVD-RAM driver might come in handy for the OS, then…

[quote=Arachne;2043751]Great! So if [B]Hailee[/B]'s drive isn’t OEM, she should have no problem then ;)[/quote]And if it is OEM, then the drive can be crossflashed to Liteon firmware. The firmware can be flashfixed, also David has some nice patched firmwares for that drive, these might be even flashfixed, don’t know. :wink:

Funny…all the specs links I found said no DVD-RAM support.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/devices/DVD-ROM/Lite-On/XJ-HD166S.html
http://digi.rpc1.org/165_166.php <-- THE resource for this drive.
Such a drive is still doing its work in my wife’s computer :slight_smile:

Ah well, live and learn :wink:
:iagree:

Perhaps a DVD-RAM driver might come in handy for the OS, then…
Some UDF reader software perhaps. If I remember, there is Roxio’s UDF Reader, also a UDF Reader was provided by Panasonic.

Michael

Hi,

okay, this drive is no OEM, but there is newer firmware (DS1E). You can find it here: http://digi.rpc1.org/165_166.php
Maybe this is enough to make the disc readable.

Michael

Awesome The DVD is now playing in Cyberlink Power DVD but I cant get Windows Media Player to open the file so I can edit things etc.
Sorry to be a pain can anyone help me?? And I would like to say thanx so much for the help so far

xx

[quote=Hailz86;2044073]Awesome The DVD is now playing in Cyberlink Power DVD[/quote]Okay, then there is no hardware issue.

but I cant get Windows Media Player to open the file so I can edit things etc.
Windows Media Player can’t edit any files at all. Maybe it doesn’t support the format of the disc (Camcorders often have their own formats), but Power DVD does.
To edit your recording, you have to copy the data from the disc onto your harddisc. Then you’ll need some video edit software that supports the video format written by your recorder. Please start with the manual of your recorder to get additional information about that.
Next step (maybe an additional problem) would be the question, how to get the edited video back onto a disc in order to playback with an ordinary DVD player. But that is another chapter :wink:

And I would like to say thanx so much for the help so far
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I meant to put windows movie maker lol not media player!! Total idiot me LOL!!
The File is a VRO file, can you recommend an editing software for me to try?

I never thought about getting it onto a DVD LOL!! but then I dont think I have a DVD burner!!

xx

Hi,[quote=Hailz86;2044122]I meant to put windows movie maker lol not media player!! Total idiot me LOL!!
The File is a VRO file, can you recommend an editing software for me to try?[/quote]No idea. I heard about Panasonic delivering some basic software with their cams, but I am not sure about that. Perhaps there are hints in the manual.

I never thought about getting it onto a DVD LOL!! but then I dont think I have a DVD burner!!
Indeed, you don’t have a CD writer. I am not sure if you can abuse your cam for that purpose, again check the manual about that, please.

Michael

have a CD Writer on my comp, its a diff drive from my DVD drive but I dont think I have DVD writing abilities lol xx

That’s why I suggested to read the manual of your camcorder if that can be abused to record the edited video.