Need some 'de' and 'het' help if possible

I have taken the great endeavor to learn a new language and I am getting confused about ‘de’ and ‘het’ in the Dutch language. A friend of mine gave me the advice that you just know them by hearing it and then gave me the prerequisite-LMAO response. While it may be funny to her, it’s killing me not knowing any shortcuts. :o

This is what I know: Well, I think so anyways…

‘De’ words are masculine or feminine and ‘het’ words are neutral. Do any of you all have a trick or two to keep them straight?

This is the site I am using thanks to G@M3FR3@K posting a link for me:

There is a decent outline on België history at that site and it got me interested in learning more about it so if any of you all have a bookmarked link, that would be greatly appreciated as well. Feel free to send non-topic links to me via PM.

Thank You for any help.

Ed

It is probably one of the hardest things of the Dutch language.
Dutch words that end with an ‘e’ are often feminine and thus used with ‘de’, but this is not so in all cases.

You can look words up in a dictionary to see if they are feminine or not, that could help you when using it in writing. For the rest, it is a feeling one has to develop over time.

Originally posted by Smart@$$

For the rest, it is a feeling one has to develop over time.

I was afraid someone was going to say that. :frowning:

Thanks. I guess I’ll just have to buy a round of bier and hope everyone is laughing with me instead of at me. hehe

Ed

Indeed ‘het’ en ‘de’ are the hardest part :slight_smile: Also speaking Dutch like the letter ‘g’ is very hard for some people :wink: Did you check out this page? It’s very funny and might come in handy!

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Did you check out this page? It’s very funny and might come in handy!

Oh yes, get those foreigners to learn all these expressions and us DUtchies will have great fun :smiley:

Funny page, must remember that :wink:

That was a killer link. Thanks. I am quite sure I’ll be able to get in trouble with that one. :eek:

Ed

Basicly, if you just want to understand the words “de” and “het”, just replace them with “the”. It’s the same thing.

Originally posted by Wookie
Basicly, if you just want to understand the words “de” and “het”, just replace them with “the”. It’s the same thing.

In the English language it is one word for all yes, but he wants to understand Dutch…and there we have both ‘de’ and ‘het’ and they are not the same…

But I agree with Smart@$$. it is a feeling you have to develop over time, though a dictionary might be helpful to determin the gender of nouns.

Thank You.

I appreciate all the help.

Ed