Need some advice to store my music CDs on hard disk

vbimport

Hi everybody
(I’m sorry if you can’t understand me correctly, english is not my native language)

I am currently ripping my CD collection (original discs) with dBPoweramp CD Ripper to FLAC, and I’m ok with that, but, I want to create a CD image (.iso for example) for every CD from my collection…

I know that for most users this is overkill and even useless but I want this for this reasons:

If I make a mistake with dBPoweramp CD Ripper process , I would need to take my CD again, and I prefer to mount a file, because it’s easier
I want to store them permanently. I have some CDs that gives me errors.
Maybe creting an iso from a original audio cds that dBPoweramp CD Ripper gives insecure rip, it could be saved?

Please, could you recommend me a way to make image files from audio cds? I don’t know if Slysoft CloneCD is enough, and I don’t know if there would be problems.
and…It would work for copy controlled audio-cds?

thank you very much

Just rip them to WAV, you get the same thing. ISO is generally not supported for CD audio discs.

That said, when you play a FLAC file, you get bit-for-bit identical audio as the original. So, also ripping to WAV is redundant. Just save 2 copies of the FLAC files and you have the same thing with less space used.

If you are set on storing iso’s then I would use imgburn and have it “verify” the iso to make sure it is copied correctly.

Hey Steve33 , Give ImgBurn a try . See what Yoda tells you.

CloneCD will create an .img file & 3 other files. I would keep all in a folder for the backup you want. There is no reason to think you couldn’t burn a good copy from that.
If you want to mount it in VirtualClone drive mount the .ccd file.

dBpoweramp CD Ripper had no problem detecting it as an audio CD mounted that way.

EAC recognized the mounted ccd file as well.

Which yoda? there seems to be many with that handle here.
Anyway, perhaps you and yoda are right as I don’t use imgburn for cd isos.
…perhaps imgburn can’t use verify in build mode?..not sure.

What is it EAC that everyone swears by?

I have always used Ashampoo for my limited CD ISO needs and it never failed me.
Yeah, I guess there will be purist to sneer at that…whatever but if it plays and I can’t hear diff. in sound then I am happy with it.

CDex, rip to wav…doesn’t it do flac?
Can get it in portable version too…always a plus in my book.

My posts are no good for op, I see he wants a mountable image file.

I forget many don’t use iso’s like I do, simply to burn back to a disc.
That is the only time I make any type of iso is either for a boot disc
or an exact copy disc.
Otherwise personally I don’t really don’t use iso that much.

But wav is just as good as an iso and there are many freeware progs. to do that.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682349]Which yoda? there seems to be many with that handle here.
Anyway, perhaps you and yoda are right as I don’t use imgburn for cd isos.
[/QUOTE]
The Yoda reference was to ImgBurn itself & a message it gives.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682349]…perhaps imgburn can’t use verify in build mode?..not sure. [/QUOTE]
No Verify in Build mode.
If you use ImgBurn to create an .iso from an Audio CD in build mode what you get are the pointer .cda files the .iso will be around 1MB. Obviously it doesn’t have the music .wavs.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682349]
What is it EAC that everyone swears by?
[/QUOTE]
It is a CD ripping,converting, & burning program. It also does a few other things. It is the one I use most.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682349] I have always used Ashampoo for my limited CD ISO needs and it never failed me.
Yeah, I guess there will be purist to sneer at that…whatever but if it plays and I can’t hear diff. in sound then I am happy with it.[/QUOTE]
I haven’t used it so I don’t know from experience. I had a friend that used it for some burns. I didn’t ask why. He’s no longer with us so I can’t ask now.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682349]
CDex, rip to wav…doesn’t it do flac?
Can get it in portable version too…always a plus in my book. [/QUOTE]
I checked the version I have & it does FLAC .

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682364]My posts are no good for op, I see he wants a mountable image file. [/QUOTE]
Clone CD worked fine it’s just the image file is not an .iso .

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682349] I have always used Ashampoo for my limited CD ISO needs and it never failed me.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682364]

I forget many don’t use iso’s like I do, simply to burn back to a disc.
That is the only time I make any type of iso is either for a boot disc
or an exact copy disc.
Otherwise personally I don’t really don’t use iso that much. [/QUOTE]
Will Ashampoo create a mountable CD .ISO ?
I’m always willing to learn something.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2682364]

But wav is just as good as an iso and there are many freeware progs. to do that. [/QUOTE]

That would be an apple & orange comparison.
.FLAC is just as good as .WAV would be correct.

.iso would compare to a .bin or .img file.

By “mountable” I take that to mean something that can be played back.
No, I don’t think ashampoo iso is mountable.
It will do bin and cue too.
It’s more or less for creating an image to later burn back to disc. (as in making a dup. cd.)
At least from my knowledge.
I use imgburn for boot images.

I didn’t catch the part he actually wanted to mount and play the image file.

ISO is an image file, at least to my understanding.
The mention of wav is that cds can be ripped to wav…even with WMP.

I do know the meanings of wav and iso…(they are in fact storage files)
Many times people do things the hard way and the way that costs them money.
There is little need these days to play iso’s or other image files since we have media players that can deal with folders and such…but this is veering off…

If he wants to spend money on clonecd that is fine with me.
The point I was making was not image vs format…as in wav.
Wav is uncompressed…it doesn’t get much better than that.

My posts were only referring to iso’s as a storage medium, not for mounting or playback.

So main point…I do things with freeware whenever possible.

But yes, cholla, ashampoo will create (1) image file for an entire cd.
This can be burned back to a blank disc.

Imgburn can create the bin, cue…it was a long time back when I did that to a cd.

Stickler for detail, you are.

I have CloneCD & I bought it a long time ago . Seems like I had a discount code too. I don’t remember the exact price but not much.

My usual method is rip an Audio CD with EAC as .wav files .
Then I use ImgBurn to create a .cue & use it to burn the .wav files back to an Audio CD .
What I do most of the time is use dBpowerAmp to convert the .wavs to .mp3s & put those on an a harddrive . Then transfer them to an micro SD for the car.

Yea I can be a stickler for detail. Like the Yoda reference in the ImgBurn message.

I see it is about 50 dollars…
Seems they have 1 year, 2 year…updates not sure what that means.

Mine is a lifetime version.
The one or two year is like a lot of software sold now.
You only get updates for whatever the limit purchased is.
Then if you want to continue to get updates you have to purchase more time.
I checked at slysoft . Now a lifetime version is 55 Euros.

I looked up my records I bought a bundled package all lifetime.
1 Bundle Package 78.00 0.00 78.00

• AnyDVD
  • CloneCD
  • CloneDVD
    1 Discount -10.00 0.00 -10.00

Total: USD 68.00

I have updated the AnyDVD to AnyDVDHD . I would have to find a different receipt for that.

An ISO is useless for an Audio CD, that’s why ImgBurn’s ‘Read’ mode tells you it’s always going to make a BIN/CUE combo.

If you want an image you can mount (assuming you use Virtual CloneDrive and mount the *.CCD file or DAEMON Tools and mount the *.CUE file) / burn etc, ImgBurn’s Read mode should be all you need.

Thanks LIGHTNING UK!, I knew there was a good reason for the message.
Is this because the .iso doesn’t work with the multiple tracks of an Audio CD ?

The ISO format has no way of storing info about the start / end of tracks - that’s where the CUE file comes in. It’s also meant for Mode 1 / 2048 bytes per sector info, not CDDA / 2352 bytes per sector info.

Although when mounted in Virtual Clone Windows wouldn’t open the .bin file .
ImgBurn write mode did a burn the a CD-RW with the .cue file & the .bin file didn’t even need to be mounted for this. The CD plays fine.
I think the BIN/CUE combo would make an adequate backup . If your goal is to burn a new CD with it if the old one is damaged.

Glad LIGHTNING UK! came on to straighten some of this out.
My bad, I was using iso and image (file) terminology sort of interchangeable.(wrong)
I had read what he mentioned up a few posts before…about mode 1 and so forth.

I haven’t ever tried to mount the cue file/ccd of a cd (audio).
Let’s find out what works as there is no better program for what is does than ImgBurn.

With Virtual Clone Drive you can mount the *.CCD file but not a *.cue file .
Which is what LIGHTNING UK! posted.
I don’t have any DAEMON Tools but I certain LIGHTNING UK! meant it is what will mount a *.CUE file.

If you mount the *.CCD file in VCD the *.img has to be in the same CD folder.

If you just use the *.cue & *.bin file created with ImgBurn read in write mode.
You just Browse & Open the *.cue in Write mode. It will write an audio CD. My test one played & sounded fine. You don’t need to mount it in any virtual drive.

What you can’t do with the *.bin file is mount & open it with VCD. It will mount but not Open. The *.cue file won’t mount. This would only be a problem if you wanted to play the .bin file from VCD or maybe extract a single track.

It might mount & open with DAEMON Tools .I don’t have them to test with .
I have no plans to install them.

That is what works for me.
But as I posted in #9 that is my usual method for ripping & burning an audio CD.

The simplest thing to do would be to set up your ripping process to FLAC the right way in the first place. If you go through the steps for a Secure Rip as indicated in the instructions for dB Poweramp, then you don’t have to bother with all this CD/ISO image stuff. Store the FLAC files on separate hard disks, one at your home, one offsite, and if you want, on optical media. Done.

Hi yojimbo197 , Just trying to answer the OP about what he wanted to do.
I would rip to .wav or .flac & store as you suggest . For myself.

I usually use EAC but I’ve had no problems with CD test rips with dBpoweramp’s CD Ripper . The secure rip is greyed out maybe because I have the free after trial version.
I also have CDex ,audiograbber,CloneCD, Nero9,BurnAware Home ,& maybe a few others . So not short of programs to use.

From what I’ve read there is no software that rips a real exact copy of an audio CD.
The pressed copy has to be made with the master.

Like most I can’t hear any difference . Maybe a few people can or think they can.
I think it would take some kind of electronic meter to detect the difference.