Need some advice > DVR-112 + PL-3507 = fine?

Hey there,
it’s my first post here - so ‘hello’ to everyone of you… :slight_smile:

Finally I need an external dvd-burner and after extensive reading and searching via google, storagereview and cdfreaks I’m really messed up. :doh:

At the beginning I thought that a Pio-112 and a Mapower KC51-C1P (Prolific PL-3507) would be fine. But then I discovered that the PL-3507 has some serious problems in fw400 (there are some threads on storagereview). And then I’ve read that the Oxford 911+ is really nice in FW400 - but can’t handle USB2.0 … so I need a case with two chips…

In the end I don’t know which way to go. I just want a nice and decent external burner which will work fine on USB2.0 AND FW400. Well and it should reach 16x also…
I think half the way is gone with the pio-112. CDfreaks gave it an award so it can’t be too bad, can it?!
So do you have any recommendations for a nice enclosure which supports both, USB2.0 AND fw400?! Would the mapower be fine or is the pl-3507 still ugly in fw400-mode?
Oh… I’ve read that the pio-112 needs udma-4 to burn at 16x - does the chip have to support this?
I really hope you can help me! :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot and best regards,
bearmann

Hi mate,
Sorry I cant answer your questions but i’m in a somewhat similar situation myself. However, I have a Pio 111D, wanting to move to a laptop and will require USB2.0 Enclosure. I’ve read mixed opinions as well on what does/doesnt work and want to sort out what does work before I make my move.
Cheers
Josh

I have two external USB/1394 combo enclosures using Prolific PL-3507 chipsets and I’ve encountered no problems with burning through 1394 at 16x (the burst rate should be good enough for 18x and 20x). And yes, it does support UDMA-4 mode. Not sure how newer Prolific versions fare with USB, but the older ones can’t make it past 8x burn speed.

I don’t have a Pioneer 112, but I have two Pioneer DVR-111(L) drives using the TDB Buffalo External firmwares in Prolific PL-3507 based enclosures, and they work fine for reading and writing at up to 12x speed over USB 2.0 HiSpeed and FireWire 400.

16x writing and reading is not possible with my setup, as the speeds max out at approx. 14x.

The Pioneer 112 comes in a factory external model, They call it a DVR-X122, It is a pure DVR-112 not a “D” model. And yes it does crossflash to a 112L Buffalo FW: 8.21. But because it’s a external model the flash procedure is a little different. My external was MFD in May, 2007. As you see here it’s no longer a DVR-112 its now a 0:0:0 - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112L 8.21 [J] (Usb). The procedure to crossfash by Kobe will not work the way he say’s it does with the external drive. But after playing with it you have to add a extra step and then your in buffalo land clear and free. Does’nt pay IMO to buy a external case and a internal drive. And yes the drive smokes even thru USB and fantastic DL burning. 2.4x DL verb media MII burns at 7.5x no problem at all. This drive is in the U.S. and i don’t know if you may have access to it in other countries.

[QUOTE=bearmann;1916594]Hey there,
it’s my first post here - so ‘hello’ to everyone of you… :slight_smile:

Finally I need an external dvd-burner and after extensive reading and searching via google, storagereview and cdfreaks I’m really messed up. :doh:

At the beginning I thought that a Pio-112 and a Mapower KC51-C1P (Prolific PL-3507) would be fine. But then I discovered that the PL-3507 has some serious problems in fw400 (there are some threads on storagereview). And then I’ve read that the Oxford 911+ is really nice in FW400 - but can’t handle USB2.0 … so I need a case with two chips…

In the end I don’t know which way to go. I just want a nice and decent external burner which will work fine on USB2.0 AND FW400. Well and it should reach 16x also…
I think half the way is gone with the pio-112. CDfreaks gave it an award so it can’t be too bad, can it?!
So do you have any recommendations for a nice enclosure which supports both, USB2.0 AND fw400?! Would the mapower be fine or is the pl-3507 still ugly in fw400-mode?
Oh… I’ve read that the pio-112 needs udma-4 to burn at 16x - does the chip have to support this?
I really hope you can help me! :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot and best regards,
bearmann[/QUOTE]

This is the oxford 912, But it costs 2 1/2 the price of the drive. This will do it for you. Depends how much $ you want to spend.