Need simple DVD burning software

Hi,

I’ve got a Sony DCR-SR200 40GB Handycam. I was using the Sony supplied software to author my MPG files on to DVD. I got hit with malware, and was forced to reload WinXP SP2. While doing debugging previous to the reformat, one of the anti-malware programs reported a rootkit with a Sony reference. Rootkit is gone now and I don’t want to use Sony’s stuff.

I just need a simple program to burn my output to standard DVDs on my (Plextor 716A)

Is this sw ok? Corel Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6

Regards, Bob

I just need a simple program to burn my output to standard DVDs on my (Plextor 716A)

ImgBurn
http://www.imgburn.com/

Thanks, it’s nice to have a place to ask for a recommendation instead of getting some bug-filled program.

I don’t know if that is your signature, or a comment directed specifically to me.

As a matter of fact, it was Google that brought me to CDfreaks.

Regards, Bob

I installed IMGBURN, but it does not support .MPG files.

[QUOTE=lionelbob;2269468]I installed IMGBURN, but it does not support .MPG files.[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by “support”. Imgburn will burn any file type to DVD/CD as data. If you need some kind of authoring/converting program then no, Imgburn does not author or convert.

[QUOTE=lionelbob;2266448]Hi,

I’ve got a Sony DCR-SR200 40GB Handycam. I was using the Sony supplied software to author my MPG files on to DVD. I got hit with malware, and was forced to reload WinXP SP2. While doing debugging previous to the reformat, one of the anti-malware programs reported a rootkit with a Sony reference. Rootkit is gone now and I don’t want to use Sony’s stuff.

Regards, Bob[/QUOTE]

Yes, as I stated in my initial post, I’m looking for recommendation for DVD authoring software. I’ve just made a couple of coasters trying to get IMGBURN do do this.

By the time you get a program to do what you want & then take the time to convert all these files, you might just as well go out & buy yourself a Dvd Player that plays these formats, AVI, MPG etc. If that is not possible, then you could give ConvertXtoDvd, (not free) or Dvd Flick, (free) a try.

DVDStyler is free and will author
http://www.dvdstyler.de/

as well as dvdauthor (grab the GUI)
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/dvdauthor

Rejig will do it too (A/V will need to be demuxed)
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/rejig.cfm

There are a couple other free authoring tools that I’m forgetting. I use DVD Lab here, but it is not freeware.

I didn’t read anything about an authoring program in your first post. All I see is:
[B]I just need a simple program to burn my output to standard DVDs on my (Plextor 716A[/B])

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2269537]I didn’t read anything about an authoring program in your first post. All I see is:
[B]I just need a simple program to burn my output to standard DVDs on my (Plextor 716A[/B])[/QUOTE]
From the first line:

I’ve got a Sony DCR-SR200 40GB Handycam. I was using the Sony supplied software to author my MPG files on to DVD.
:wink:

Please bear with me, I’m a noob with this subject.

The Sony DCR-SR200 HDD camera produces .MPG files which I manually copy to my WD mybook storage system.

The Sony supplied software installs a rootkit for their DRM thing. I’ve removed the rootkit with an entire rebuild of WinXP SP2.

The Sony supplied software apparently does the conversion, authoring and burning all in one step.

What I am looking for is a recommendation for software that does it all.

The Sony camcorder also has a Dolby 5.1 mic and I would like to preserve the audio so I can hear the surround when I playback through my home theater.

I saw some blurbs that some DVD authoring programs don’t process the AC3 properly, if at all.

If there isn’t a freeware solution, I’m not against buying a real program, but I’ve seen lots of bad reviews, hence my reason for stopping here.

Thanks, Bob

[QUOTE=lionelbob;2270019]
I saw some blurbs that some DVD authoring programs don’t process the AC3 properly, if at all.[/QUOTE]

In my experience, Nero has been known to either want to re-encode the 5.1 AC3, or ask to pay for a plugin to burn it, which is BS. That may be what you are referring to. Any good authoring application should not change your audio or video in any way if they are DVD compliant, which your mpg’s from your camera should be from what I’ve read.

[QUOTE=martineze;2272135]I think I am a spammer.
I hope this may help you[/QUOTE]… und Tschüss. :cop:

You can’t believe everything you read on the internets.

The Sony rootkit is claimed to only be on certain audio Cd’s (There’s a list on Wikipedia)

I ran Rootkit Revealer on my system, after XP rebuild and before loading Sony camcorder software, no rootkits found,

I installed Sony Camcorder software and reran rootkit revealer, no rootkits found.

I felt that since I had implied that the Sony provided camcorder software may have loaded a rootkit that I should clear that up.

Now back to burning the .MPG files.

Using Sony’s Picture motion Browser version 2.02 (base), I was able to successfully burn some video but not until after making coasters because the burn speed was set too high.

I was only able to burn two DVD’s and then…some kind of error message from PMB that states error writing to disk.

After research, I applied two upgrades to the PMB as suggested by Sony support site, still no good burns.

I am using Sony DVD+R media on a Plextor 716a.

I’ve tried removing other DVD burning software such as Roxio from my system, and followed a suggestion that I try to burn in safe mode.

I have made 10 coasters (I think). (How can I tell if they are clobbered DVDs?)

Does anybody know if Starburn 12 will do what I need?

Regards, Bob

Post a full burnlog and we will try to figure out whats wrong…

First timer for posting burnlog. Where are the instructions? I tried searching on burnlog, no luck.

Regards, Bob

[QUOTE=lionelbob;2288992]First timer for posting burnlog. Where are the instructions? I tried searching on burnlog, no luck.

Regards, Bob[/QUOTE]
Click on the help tab and then ImgBurn Logs.

Daemonicus offered some fine solutions,and to add 1 more great tool on the list,there’s also the open source project Dvd Flick,which authors and converts many formats to dvd.Very customisable,but user-friendly for 1st time users with it’s basic settings.
As for paid programs,you can take a look @ Svcd2Dvd…cheap,and 1 of the very few that can take your .mpg’s directly to it’s dvd project without re-encoding them…an enormous time saver,and although not 100 compliant that way,most dvdplayers can play such an authored dvd quite easily…

[QUOTE=lionelbob;2266448]Hi,

Regards, Bob[/QUOTE]

Surely your cam did come with a software on CD/DVD.
So which one is it??

You get mpg files as oputput, so prior burning to “videoDVD” you need TO AUTHOR the content.

:doh:

I decided to try the Plextools software just to determine whether it is software or hardware.

Plextools has a DVD copy function and about %60 through a burn, I got a:
Hardware error code 040902.

Plextor manual says:
040902 HARDWARE ERROR: FOCUS SERVO FAILURE

Web search on this string came back with many possibilities, however, at least three hits said to either clean the laser, or put the burner on its own molex plug.

Three spins with the Memorex CD/DVD cleaner and Plextools DVD copy burned clean.

I was able to then use Sony’s Picture Motion Browser to create four consecutive successful DVD authored burns.

Thanks to all that replied.

Regards, Bob ===> :o