Need replacement for HL GWA-4040N

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GWA-4040N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Voodoo PC Envy M 860, about three and a half years old. It’s been a great laptop until now. Recently the CD/DVD drive stopped recognizing CD and DVD media. At first it was only once in a while, or with some disks, but now it is near 100% unsuccessful in recognizing a CD or DVD in the drive. I believe it is worn out and it is time for a replacement.

I’m looking for a form/fit/function drop-in replacement with a minumum of hassle. The drive is an HL GWA-4040N. I see a few sellers have this drive available, but most of them are used and are more expensive than newer, in-production drives. I’d like to know what will fit, accept the bezel from my existing drive, and be the least hassle to apply as a replacement. Additional capability would be a plus, but is not a requirement. I assume that another HL GWA model is the way to go for compatibility, but I have no real knowledge of the HL/LG product line.

Voodoo (www.voodoopc.com) does not have any support for this model on their website, and I don’t expect much in the way of technical support from them.

I’m experienced with desktop hardware issues, but have not done any laptop modding or building before. I’m just looking for a quick, technically sound fix.

Any suggestions?