Need pointers on constructing a DVD project

vbimport

Hi,

I don’t know if this is the right forum for this, but here’s hoping. To start with, I’m completely new to video file manipulation and authoring.

I recently purchased a Plextor M-402U ConvertX A/V USB2.0 capture box and I’ve spent some time with it and the supplied applications. The ConvertX allows me to capture uncompressed CD quality stereo into a variable bit rate MPEG2 A/V file, and I want to make a DVD containing both captured material and material from a DVD-V.

I’ve used a decryption program to copy the full DVD to HD and I can identify which .VOB files I specifically want, but I don’t know how to convert them into MPEG2 files for input to Ulead VideoStudio 8 SE.

I’d also like to know how to make an audio track from one MPEG file accessable to another – obviously there would be synchronizing issues involved.

These questions probably just scratch the surface, but that’s a reflection of how green I am. I’m guessing there are specific programs that perform these kinds of tasks, hopefully with high reliability :), and also hopefully freeware :).

Can anyone please get me started (or at least point me in the right direction?)

TIA – Trevor

ByTheWay – While on AVSForum I ran into praise for a video conversion program Womble MPEG2VCR (http://www.womble.com/). It costs $50, but apparently accepts a variety of inputs and reliably generates DVD compliant MPEG-2 files. Comment?

Simple - Use a software called DVD Author
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

DVDAuthor or the Pro version, both are feature packed and allow easy menu creation. I use this tool myself, and have not had ANY problems. I have used Ulead before (it bloody sucks, it is slow, has too many bugs and has known A/V sync issues) so I dumped it and use DVDAuthor instead :smiley: It allows you to edit your DVD (cut parts), edit/create chapters, etc… Not only that, it even let’s you IMPORT a VIDEO_TS folder and directly edit it, without copying it to HDD, all without recompression. If you want further manipulation there is an option to convert any title of a DVD into a single MPG file, it knows which VOBs belong to which titles, etc… Once you have that MPG file, what I consider to be one of the best native format MPG editors is Womble MPEG Video Wizard (www.womble.com), allows direct editing of MPG files, supports 2D33D effects, audio editing, title creation and much more - You can also demultiplex the MPG file to extract the audio portion. You can also use a free tool called VOBEDIT, which allows extraction of audio streams, video streams and subs from a DVD into individual files.

The CD quality audio you are referring to is Linear PCM, it is part of the DVD specifications and your Plextor Xconvert supports capturing into uncompressed audio (LPCM) or MPEG audio (which is part of the PAL DVD specifications). Not all NTSC DVD players will playback MPEG audio, so for NTSC you should use PCM whenever possible or AC3 - (AC3, Mpeg Audio and PCM can also be used for PAL DVD).

Wow! Thanks Greg, that’s a mouthful :)!

I just downloaded this file: dvdauthor-0.6.9-win32.rar from a US mirror. I’m just hoping you can verify I got the right thing – wasn’t expecting it to be freeware :). I found it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/dvdauthor-Download-31082.html

(WHOOPS!!! I just realized you gave a link for dvdauthor (actually “DVD Author 2.0”). Nope, not freeware. Still, if it works super well like you say, 89USD could be worth it.)

Should I be looking at Womble “MPEG Video Wizard DVD” (139USD), or just Womble “MPEG Video Wizard” (99USD)? I know you said the latter, but just wanted to make sure :). Too bad THAT isn’t freeware :(.

I tried both LPCM and MPEG, but the LPCM sounds MUCH better – as I expected. Takes a bigger slice out of the target DVD, but it’s a much truer capture. I think I read the box supports DD2.0 encoding as well, but I doubt it’s any improvement over MPEG.

I hit an A/V synch issue after chapter subdivision of a captured VHS tape, but I’ve only noticed it in that one place so far. The original MPEG2 file has perfect synchronism, so it’s clearly ULead’s fault. However, the other supplied program, Intervideo WinDVD Creator 2, is an A/V synch disaster, as well as having very clunky chapter breaks (very obvious during playback). I decided to use it only for capture (very flexible capture options), with the ULead for authoring.

My original thinking was to create MPEG2 files for input to ULead, but I gather DVD Author 2.0 would take material from the source DVD, merge it with MPEG material prepared by Womble and VOBEdit, perform the authoring, and finally burn the completed project. Do I interpret you correctly?

Thanks – Trevor

DVDauthor is FREE, but tmpgenc dvd author is NOT.

lol - I’m sorry for the confusion I mean the TMPDVD Author, not the free one…

And yes I have used Ulead in the past, and program is limited, not fast responsive and has A/V sync issues - Some programs do not properly process MPEG files with inconsistent PTS (non sequential PTS) - I personally have not had any problems with Womble or TMPDVDAuthor/Pro in terms of A/V sync.

Hello Greg,

Thanks – I’m clear on the correct DVD Author product, but I need to verify which MPEG Video Wizard package: “Should I be looking at Womble “MPEG Video Wizard DVD” (139USD), or just Womble “MPEG Video Wizard” (99USD)?” I realize you specified the latter, but you could have accidentally left off the “DVD” at the end.

Also, is my summary operating description about right, or do I misunderstand something: “My original thinking was to create MPEG2 files for input to ULead, but I gather DVD Author 2.0 would take material from the source DVD, merge it with MPEG material prepared by Womble and VOBEdit, perform the authoring, and finally burn the completed project. Do I interpret you correctly?”

Thanks again – Trevor

Actually MPEG VideoWizard DVD is identical to MPEG VideoWizard, only it has added DVD Authoring and burning (very limited functionality) Both have TRIAL, fully functional versions you can test first. Honestly I would recommend the MPEG video wizard version and use a decent more complete authoring package for DVD as the functions are very limit in womble, basic menus, nothing fancy.

Also, is my summary operating description about right, or do I misunderstand something: “My original thinking was to create MPEG2 files for input to ULead, but I gather DVD Author 2.0 would take material from the source DVD, merge it with MPEG material prepared by Womble and VOBEdit, perform the authoring, and finally burn the completed project. Do I interpret you correctly?”

I am not sure I understand you 100% - Are you talking about taking a DVD and converting it into a single MPEG file ready for editing ? Yes, TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6, 2.0, etc… will do this - All you do is tell it to import a VIDEO_TS folder, it will then offer you an option to copy the stream to HDD, in MPG format. If the DVD has multiple sound streams and titles, it will ask yo prior to that, which title and sound stream you want to create. It is an easy approach.

The other method (FREE) is to use VOBedit which also let’s you extract individual audio, video streams and subs and more advanced functions…however for basic converting to MPG I would recommend DVDAuthor. Once the MPG file is created you can use either Womble MPEG Video Wizard or this
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tme20.html

Allows for fast editing (cuts only) - It also dosen’T have the special effects and other goodies of womble, but it’s decent for cuts only editing and if you are looking for scene detection, etc…which womble doesn’t have.

Best thing to do is to try the software yourself. All of the mentioned softwares have fully functional trials, if you like them you pay online and you unlock it right away - If you do decide to go with the pegasys software you will require an internet connection at all time to keep your license current because it validates your license on a regular basis.

What I was actually thinking of was being able to take one or more titles (A/V data streams) from within a DVD VIDEO-TS folder and also one or more MPEGs from a HardDrive, and author them into menu selectable titles with chapter sub menus on the target DVD. This would also include the ability to select sound tracks, both original and alternative, for a given title.

Sounds like DVDAuthor2.0 would probably allow me to create at least one A/V MPEG Title at a time, followed by using Womble on those MPEGs and others stored on HardDrive, to then hopefully be combined by DVDAuthor2.0 into a complete burnable package (and I’m presuming DVDAuthor2.0 will also perform the burn).

Hope I’m not expecting to much :).

Thanks – Trevor