Need opinions on Laptop choice

I am soliciting opinions so I can make a decision between two laptops I’m considering for purchase. The primary use would be to control my Yamaha RX-V3900 Network A/V Receiver, connected to my media server, from my sun room. Additionally, web surfing and other menial tasks would break up the monotony at times.

The two laptops in question are the HP Pavillion dv7-1275dx and the Gateway FX Edition P-7805u

I’m a bit partial to the Gateway as the specs are more impressive, but further observations reveal that it does not have any PCMCIA slots. I cannot imagine what I would add to this unit in that slot.

Should I be concerned?

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks for any and all input.

I am not sure if these laptops are powerful enough for controlling the AV receiver and some web surfing :bigsmile:

Just some thoughts:
Especially with notebooks, customer service and warranty counts more than just adding impressive features. How much is a Geforce 9800 worth if it needs to throttle down due to poor thermal design of the entire laptop.
At least here in germany, the reputation of HP’s customer service for their Pavilion series is not the best

PCMCIA slots are obsolete now, their successor is the Express Card. Seems as if the Gateway does have such.
You may check for manuals and documentation of both laptops. Availability of such is another indicator of customer service. HP often has even service manuals available :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks for the response.

My choices were driven primarily by screen size. The 17" is a must as my eyes are not as young as they once were.

With that said, I have learned a very long time ago to avoid entry level offerings, which brings me to the above choices.

I have avoided HP computers in the past but due to recent exposures with a few of their laptops, I thought they had finally seen the light.

I was able to confirm your revelation that the Gateway does have the Express Card slot. Somehow I had missed that before.
Thanks for that.

The Gateway appears to be the better choice.

Hi,[QUOTE=Nemesys;2240174]
My choices were driven primarily by screen size. The 17" is a must as my eyes are not as young as they once were.[/quote]Hehe, I can understand this. Then see if you can get a 17" with lower resolution than 1680x1050. 1440x900 should be available.

With that said, I have learned a very long time ago to avoid entry level offerings, which brings me to the above choices.

What about business class notebooks from Dell, HP or Lenovo? Non-glare displays are available there, and even HP customer support is much better :wink:

I am quite happy with my Dell Vostro 1500 and Dell’s customer support (I opted for 3 yrs on-site hardware support contract).

Michael

Why not go for a Mac Mini and run Plex?
//Danne

…btw, if you really need a laptop I would atleast wait until Radeon 4***-series are available or go for an Intel G45(M) chipset.
//Danne