Need opinion on a new video card

HIS
IceQ Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card

Im in the process of upgrading my video card any hints if this is ok need at least 512 mb I have a dell dimension 8400 3.4 ghz and 3 gigs of memory.dont want to spend over $200

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298237

Most people don’t need 1gb of video ram, its only good for extremely high resolution monitors, like 2500x1600, or anything above 1920x1200 with games.

That 4850 you linked to is kinda expensive. What is the native resolution of your monitor and how demanding of a gamer are you?

I fiqured for the money final price around $160 it was ok I want to spend the money once.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2197630]Most people don’t need 1gb of video ram, its only good for extremely high resolution monitors, like 2500x1600, or anything above 1920x1200 with games.

That 4850 you linked to is kinda expensive. What is the native resolution of your monitor and how demanding of a gamer are you?[/QUOTE]

In addition, the newer, faster video cards may be limited by the processor in those older systems. That 4850, even in its basic 512MB version, is a bit overkill for that 3.4GHz single-core Pentium 4 processor. It needs at a minimum a very-high-end Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad in order for it to significantly outperform cheaper cards with somewhat slower or older GPUs (to the point where an entirely new system with a fairly low-end current CPU and a mid-level video card will outperform that older system with a top-of-the-line video card even in gaming). And that’s not to mention the power supply issues: Dell OEM systems of the Dimension 8400’s time typically shipped with only 300W power supply units, while the 4850 needs at least a 450W unit. And you cannot install an aftermarket power supply unit inside the Dimension 8400’s case without major modifications; the PSU mount in the 8400’s case is nonstandard and proprietary. (For that matter, the 8400’s case accepted only proprietary Dell tray-mounted motherboards, and no standard motherboard will even fit correctly.)

So its up to you k9cop, Play it safe and get the Asus 4830 or verify that your PSU is the beefier 375W unit and get the HIS 4850

Well thanks all just got finished installing the 700 watt ATX power supply, now Im set for the choice of my video card
:wink:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298237

Installed new video card all good I get a error with my audio device high definition audio bus driver it will not install I checked the ati web site they say they are working on this issue and it appears to happen on XP. again thanks for all of the help

what brand and model PSU did you get?

Rocketfishâ„¢ - 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply I got this for a very good price… FREE:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile: I will use this until I have to change it working fine for now

HardwareSecrets tested it:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/556

Its actually pretty good. It maintains 80+% efficiency up to a 600W draw, and your not going to even come close to that. They even exceeded the power rating and the thing didn’t blow up! Not bad. The ripple gets pretty aweful at high power draws, but your always going to be below that. No need to replace that bad boy! :slight_smile:

Well thats good to know I read some reviews that were 50-50 on that note I am set for awhile with this tower next upgrade will be for a new system not for a long time with my money roll :bigsmile:

K9cop

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 3Ghz and want to upgrade my graphics card, i want to install a radeon HD4850 1 gig, i noticed that you have already upgraded your power supply so that already answers one of my questions, what graphics card did you end up fitting, i do alot of video editing and effects so need to upgrade as soon as poss as the standard card is way not up to the job.

Cheers

I have the exact same system as you, and I’m running an ATI2600xt. It is more card than I need. I also have another system with a geforce 8800gt ultra, and I honestly don’t see any difference playing even the newest games, on either system. Both of my video cards are 512mb, and are more than enough.

[QUOTE=aftereffectsgeek;2223770]K9cop

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 3Ghz and want to upgrade my graphics card, i want to install a radeon HD4850 1 gig, i noticed that you have already upgraded your power supply so that already answers one of my questions, what graphics card did you end up fitting, i do alot of video editing and effects so need to upgrade as soon as poss as the standard card is way not up to the job.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

The new video card will also use 2 slots in your tower. I installed the Rocketfishâ„¢ - 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply and have the HIS
IceQ4 Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card, I had to do minor mods to the case for the power switch, cut 2 slots down to make it fit as dell has no power switch on the supply from the factory, the new power supply review http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/556 found by
eric93se reports good results.:bigsmile::cop:

wow, so your saying dell still doesn’t follow industry standards for their PSU’s and you had to mod your main power connector to make the new psu work!?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2224018]wow, so your saying dell still doesn’t follow industry standards for their PSU’s and you had to mod your main power connector to make the new psu work!?[/QUOTE]

No what Im saying is there is no external on/off switch on the back of the power supply all the connections worked easy. they all are ATX rated, here is an example of what I mean
http://www.impactcomputers.com/f4284.html#
compared to the new supply http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=9027938&productId=1218011396273&defurl=false&h=387

aftereffectsgeek, don’t get the psu that K9cop got, its not considered good even though it faired well in testing. Get a good brand name like Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and cooling. You will probably be fine with a quality psu that is at least 400W but I would suggest getting a 500W psu because it will allow for more changes in the future as well as using it in your next system if you wish.

Here is a list of high-efficiency psu’s at newegg: Link

[B]eric93se wrote[/B]
HardwareSecrets tested it:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/556

Its actually pretty good. It maintains 80+% efficiency up to a 600W draw, and your not going to even come close to that. They even exceeded the power rating and the thing didn’t blow up! Not bad. The ripple gets pretty aweful at high power draws, but your always going to be below that. No need to replace that bad boy!

LOL

Thank you all for your help i will check out the links, your help is more than appreciated and i will be back on many occasions to tap into your experiance i have no doubt :slight_smile:

Just wanted to mention a couple things in reguards to the psu in the Dimension 8400. First, the stock psu is a 350 watt unit. It’s listed in the 8400 spec sheet and printed on the sticker attached to the psu. Second, PC Power & Cooling offers direct replacement psu’s for the 8400 and other Dells. I just put one in my 8400. It’s a Silencer 500 watt (550 watt peak) psu. The recepticle for the power cord is in the correct location and there’s no on/off switch to have to worry about making a hole for…just plug and play. I got mine at the end of January from newegg. They were on sale, plus an additional 20% off code and a $20 mail-in rebate. In the end, it cost me $50.

The only thing that was a pain was all the additional wires. There are connections for more components than the 8400 case could physically hold. There are enough connections to plug in 6 sata devices, 6 ide devices, two 6-pin graphics cards, an addition 8-pin connector, 4-pin cpu, main motherboard connector, floppy drive power connector, and I think I’m forgetting some. It really was a pain to find a place to route the wires in the 8400 case, but, it can be done cleanly without restricting air flow…it just took more thought than I had planned.