Need More Info About A Lightscribe Burner!

vbimport

Hello guys! New to the forums but have used this place for a lot of helpful information in the past. We are looking at getting a new desktop PC. The PC is the HP Pavilion a6400f desktop. I have tried to find the type/model of Lightscribe burner that comes with this PC but can’t seem to find it. I’m wanting this to get a better review of how good this Lightscribe burner is. How durable? How it performs? Compatibility?

I’ve seen some reviews right here on the forums for Lightscribe burners but I don’t know where to find my model or type that’s included with this PC. I’m gonna provide a link to the PC with all the specs for the burner as well. Please post back some direction or help so I can decide if this is a good reliable Lightscribe burner. Thanks for looking at my post! :slight_smile: Here’s the link: http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/data_sheet/kj379aa.html

Welcome to CDF’s:

None of the parts are very new. 16x LS drives are pretty old now. Hard to really tell which one it could be.

Are you getting a cheap deal on it all?

[quote=Bob;2099696]Welcome to CDF’s:

None of the parts are very new. 16x LS drives are pretty old now. Hard to really tell which one it could be.

Are you getting a cheap deal on it all?[/quote]

Thanks for the timely response! Well, not really a cheap deal. I’m getting the PC only from Tiger Direct for $419.99 without any extras like a monitor. This PC is rated by DesktopReviews website as the top budget desktop in the market as of May 2008. I’d just like to get a review of this burner like some others on here.

Yeah, 16X drives have faded I know. However, my main purpose of the Lightscribe feature is for CD-R burning & not really DVD burning. This would be mainly for music & the making of VCD’s). I make very few DVD’s. The speed capability isn’t really a factor for me because of mainly CD-R burning purposes. I know our current PC(Compaq) has an Optorite burner. What brand would be likely here with this new PC? LG? Lite-On? Philips? I’m just trying to gather as much about this Lightscribe burner before making a foolish purchase. I like the PC but I wanna know more about the burner really. Thanks! :eek:

Well as you know from reading here Tony that a lot of DVD burners don’t burn CD-R’s as well as they should. As far as Lightscribe burners go they are all about the same as far as i have read here. I have a BenQ 1655 and an LG H62L that burn LS discs and they both are the same from what i can tell. The LG H62L is not a good CD-R burner though. If the drive doesn’t perform as well burning CD-R’s then you could always search around here for info on a replacement. Burners are getting really cheap these days.

Chances are, you would either get old stock of an LG 16x drive, old stock of a LiteOn 16x drive, or a newer speed-locked 18x or 20x LiteOn [firmware limited to 16x with HP’s special firmware]. The newer LiteOn drive is what you’d probably get. Most of them don’t write CD-R as well as some of the competition, but are still nice drives for reading and usually good for DVD writing.

I’d suggest you get an additional drive for higher-quality CD writing, and do the LightScibe labeling with the original drive. :iagree:

[quote=Albert;2099714]Chances are, you would either get old stock of an LG 16x drive, old stock of a LiteOn 16x drive, or a newer speed-locked 18x or 20x LiteOn [firmware limited to 16x with HP’s special firmware]. The newer LiteOn drive is what you’d probably get. Most of them don’t write CD-R as well as some of the competition, but are still nice drives for reading and usually good for DVD writing.

I’d suggest you get an additional drive for higher-quality CD writing, and do the LightScibe labeling with the original drive. :iagree:[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I don’t like the info about getting another separate CD drive for lightscribing CD-R discs. I mean this is supposed to be a burner that’s capable of both CD-R & DVD-R media. This seems like getting another drive just for one usage would be a waste of money. This would defeat the purpose of the DVD+/-RW drive built in. I know you’re implying that the quality of the CD-R is the problem & that DVD would be fine.

However, this is a multi format drive so I feel getting another drive to take up space whether it be by an expansion bay or just USB is a waste of space & money. I do plan on upgrading the PC in the future but not soon. That’s why I’m looking for a solid Lightscribe burner especially in the CD-R burning category. I just don’t want to purchase a separate burner just for lightscribing CD-R media when I just bought one for multi format media. I hope you see where I’m coming from with this. I appreciate the helpful info though because I had no clue to what type burner that HP may have with this setup. Thanks again & more comments or suggestion are welcomed. :eek:

According to HP’s product support for a Pavillion a6400f, the burner should be one of these three:

Optiarc AD-7201S5 DVD
HL-DT-ST GH10L DVD-R/RW
PLDS DVD-R/RW DH16A3L

[quote=RookieRipper;2100472]According to HP’s product support for a Pavillion a6400f, the burner should be one of these three:

Optiarc AD-7201S5 DVD
HL-DT-ST GH10L DVD-R/RW
PLDS DVD-R/RW DH16A3L[/quote]

Thanks for this info! I’ll see what I can find out about these particular burners to help me out better. Thanks again! :slight_smile: