Need Lite-on LTD 163 info (capabilities)

vbimport

I am in the market for a new DVD drive and have narrowed it down to two major choices. Lite-on LTD 163 and Toshiba SD-M1612.

I have info that the Tosh can read subchannel data, cd-text, C2 errors, and CD+G.

I have not been able to find this kind of info for the Lite-on. Can someone please run some tests on their lite-on and tell me what they come up with.

Also, I heard that you cannot upgrade the firmware on the new Tosh!!! Can anyone confirm this?

I own the 163D LiteOn DVD and I am looking at the box, It does not list the formats it reads, It just says it will read all DVD, DVD-R, All CD-Rom, CD-RW Formats, PCDirekt??? Says it is the best Rom-Drive for Clone CD, that is on the box too…
I use it alot and I haven’t had any problems with it, even updated the firmware for it…

CD+G: Yes
C2 error info: yes
subchannel data: yes and fast!
CD-TEXT: yes

And it’s much faster at reading mode 2 discs (audio and VCD) compared to the toshiba. But it’s slower than the toshiba when it comes to reading protected discs that contains read errors. But it’s better to read scratche/bad discs compared to the toshibe(the toshiba sometimes reports unreadable sectors or c2 errors when the Lite-On have no problems).

Is it true that the Toshiba dvd drives can read audio protections but the Lite-On cannot. I am building a new system and are considering a Lite-On DVD rom to go with a new Lite-On Cdrw. 40x overclocked to 48x.

Graveyard85

Originally posted by OC-Freak
CD+G: Yes
C2 error info: yes
subchannel data: yes and fast!
CD-TEXT: yes

Are you sure about the C2 errors? According to the feurio website this drive doesn’t report c2 errors… but this is not comfirmed by the feurio team (I guess it is a user contributed list…) But then again on the user contributed list of EAC it is stated by 2 people it does do c2 errors… :confused:

I think I will test it myself this evening!

BTW: the LiteOn ltd163 is bad in reading audio protected cds…

Are you sure? My Lite-ON LTD-163 (GH5K) was not able to play Shakira Laundry Service (supposedly SafeAudio?), but I was still able to copy it with CloneCD. It sounded just right (actually better than the original which got scratched and had started to skip) on my Panasonic 5-CD changer.

Then again, perhaps that CD is protected with some other form of protection here in Canada. Anyone know for sure?

As for C2 errors, the 163 seems in my experience much more serious in it’s error checking than the LTR-40125S burner, will display many more errors and will slow down accordingly, but will still be able to play the disk. That is testing with CDR-Diagnostic as well as CD Speed Scandisk Surface Test.

Please try to determine the protection by reading this.

My Ltd-163 (GH5E) won’t read Key2Audio v2 or v3 and it won’t read CDS200 (unknown version)…

I checked my ltd-163 and ltr-40125s (zsoa) for its ability to report c2 errors with Feurio 1.65 and Eac 0.9b2. Both programs were not able to retrieve c2 error-pointers, allthough they did when I used my Plextor PX-40ts…

Very weird I get these contradicting results with your results… I will try CD Speed and CDR-Diagnostic later.

Question: is the ability to report c2 errors firmware dependant? I guess so, but is this a feature that is sometimes added to a newer fw version?

:confused:

Look at the seek time. Can’t remember when
I last see such a number. But worked to spec
with non-cdr media!.

Appreciate any help

Reports

CD Speed

13 June 2002 - 4:27:34

CD-ROM drive information
Vendor LITEON
Product DVD-ROM LTD163D
Firmware Version GHR3

CD information
Type Data
Length 57:48.62

Test results

Transfer rate
Average 34.85x
Start 19.74x
End 44.82x
Reading type CAV

DAE quality
Score N/A
Accurate stream No

Seek times
Random 830 ms
1/3 Seek 565 ms
Full 1959 ms

CPU usage
1X 4%
2X 2%
4X 3%
8X 6%

Interface
Burst rate N/A

Spinup/Spindown Time
Spinup Time N/A
Spindown Time N/A

Same disk on LTR-16102B

CD Speed

13 June 2002 - 4:33:50

CD-ROM drive information
Vendor LITE-ON
Product LTR-16102B
Firmware Version OS0F

CD information
Type Data
Length 57:48.62

Test results

Transfer rate
Average 26.83x
Start 18.34x
End 23.92x
Reading type P-CAV

DAE quality
Score N/A
Accurate stream No

Seek times
Random 84 ms
1/3 Seek 90 ms
Full 149 ms

CPU usage
1X 1%
2X 2%
4X 5%
8X 12%

Interface
Burst rate N/A

Spinup/Spindown Time
Spinup Time N/A
Spindown Time N/A

Disc Eject Time 1.58 sec
Disc Load Time 1.58 sec
Disc Recognition Time 6.86 sec

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
Please try to determine the protection by reading this.

<SNIP>

Great article you wrote here, Up3rd0G, very interesting indeed.

Since I’m no expert in copying protected audio (did it once only to solve a skipping problem on my daughter’s CD) I cannot say for sure what protection this Shakira Laundry Service CD had. I don’t know where she got it, she’s getting pretty independent minded (and she just turned 11!!!). Maybe that disk has a different type of protection in Canada? Anyway I’ll have a closer look at the CD when I get a chance; her CDs seem to do the swap dance quite a bit and she only asks my help when one of them gives her trouble…

In any case I could indeed not play that disk directly on my PC CD Player (WinAmp) unless I used the modded CDFS.VXD in Explorer than dragged the files into WinAmp.

I got it copied using CloneCD on the second attempt, there was this nasty circular scratch near the end of the CD (don’t know how she got it, seems the disk may have been spinning while it was taken out!) Anyway, got that taken care of with some serious “Skip Doctor-ing”, then I was able to copy the disk OK at low read speed.

Anyone else in Canada tried to copy that CD with Clone?

Originally posted by cj500
[B]:confused:

Look at the seek time. Can’t remember when
I last see such a number. But worked to spec
with non-cdr media!.

Appreciate any help[/b]

Have you tried with different media? What brand is it? At what speed was the test disk recorded? Does the test disk have errors when tested using CD Speed Scandisk?

Seems to be a media or burning problem to me. Please tell us more…

[<SNIP>

Originally posted by 83bj60
[B]

Have you tried with different media? What brand is it? At what speed was the test disk recorded? Does the test disk have errors when tested using CD Speed Scandisk?

Seems to be a media or burning problem to me. Please tell us more…

[<SNIP> [/B]

Disc media used are Mitsubishi Chemical. No media
error issue as some of the disks are new. Problem
even with DVD as sole drive.

Further investigation had narrowed to those with high
seek timing to those written with Easy CD Creator.

Recopy those disk with Nero cleared the slow seek issue.

What’s going on? Frankly I don’t know.

Seems like a firmware issue as all those disks run fast on
the Liteon LTR-16012B recorder, regardless of software
used to create those disks. Will be writing to Liteon.

Motherboard ECS P4S5A
Drives LTD-163D, LTR-16102B.

Thanks for assisting
Regards

Originally posted by cj500
[B]

Further investigation had narrowed to those with high
seek timing to those written with Easy CD Creator.

Recopy those disk with Nero cleared the slow seek issue.
[/B]

<SNIP>

Ahah! Got that right on. Have seen the same problem on my old Plexy 1210A with EasyCd Creator 5.X. Seems to be a bug with EasyCD Creator, could not fix it myself, ended up switching to Nero (that was many months ago… Never looked back!)

Originally posted by 83bj60
[B]

<SNIP>

Ahah! Got that right on. Have seen the same problem on my old Plexy 1210A with EasyCd Creator 5.X. Seems to be a bug with EasyCD Creator, could not fix it myself, ended up switching to Nero (that was many months ago… Never looked back!) [/B]

Its now cast iron. Easy Creator is the cuprit.
Incidentally this drive loves Ricoh Blank.

Ever wonder how its feel like to install WinXP with floppy?
Burn an ISO image of Win XP Pro with Easy Creator.
Bootup with LTD163D and start the clock. Those hundreds
of millisec seek time will start multiplying by hundreds if not
thousand as files copying gets underway. Its how the prob
is detected.

Regards

Check the review: http://cdr-info.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=DVD-Rom+Roundup+Vol1&Series=0