Need input

vbimport

Hey, i am about to build my first computer and using tigerdirect to get all the components, would just like someone to look over what i will be buying and give input…make sure everyting will work togeather and fit. (my biggest concers are 1: will everything fit in a medium tower and 2: what else will i have to get on my own to install the hard drive with it being OEM)

CPU= ntel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor BX80580Q9300 - 2.50GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan

Moterboard=EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - A1 Version, NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

Memory=(2)Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024)

Hard drive=Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM

Video Card=BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC2 Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

Power supply=OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / EPS / Active PFC / Power Supply

CD Drive=Philips SPD2413BD Super All-Write DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x32x CD-R/RW, Black

tower=NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case - Clear Sides, Front USB, eSATA Ports

Welcome to the forum

Not sure how long the GeForce 8800 is but those components should all fit in an ATX Mid-Tower.

Have you priced those components with newegg just in case you could get a better deal.

CPU: Do you really need Quad core? E8400 (and E8500) gives you a very good bang for the buck and you can upgrade later on when quad drops in price.

Motherboard: Sigh, go for Intel chipset its much better in all ways (performance, stability…) Gigabyte P35 or P45 DS3R/DS4 are much better choices.

Memory: Corsair is a good choice, get one 2Gb stick or two 2Gb stick since you may want to upgrade later on and they’re about the same price (one 2Gb stick compared to two 1Gb sticks). Make sure to get 1.8V (stock voltage) if you want highest compatibility.

HDD: Grab a WD 640Gb (fewer platters) or a Hitachi 1TB (7K1000.B), better performance and less noise.

PSU: Corsair HX620, all you’ll ever need. Very good quality (made by Seasonic), cheap and modular.

Video card: Really consider 4870 instead of the old 8800GT.

//Danne

Thanks for the welcome Kipper. i have checked most of the stuff with newegg as well and tigerdirect is cheaper. not sure how old the 8800 card is myself but it does have some good reviews…and its under $200

thanks for the input Dizzy, i will look into the changes… not going to buy anything till i know what i am getting will be great for my gaming needs. will post any changes i am considering on here.

again this is my first attempt at building a computer so any insight on what i should get or where to look would be great, thanks

Eacer, the 8800gt is still a capable card, but if your looking to build a gaming rig, the AMD 4870 ~280 bucks is a better choice. If your budget isn’t as high then there are some good overclocked 8800gt’s available, like this one Link. Do you plan on using SLI or Crossfire?

For a gaming rig the intel e8400 is a better choice, and it recently had a price drop.

I’ve built several systems over the years and one thing I’ve found useful when choosing components is to plot a graph of price against performance/capacity i.e:

For a hard drive:
Plot price against capacity

For a CPU:
Plot price against clock speed

Generally you’ll find the graph is a straight line until you start paying the premium for the latest technology and buying just at the point where it starts to take off gives you the best value for money. Obiously there are a few other concerns such as different brands etc. but it’s a good place to start.

Have fun and don’t worry too much about the build; it’s easier than it first appears as nothing fits in the wrong hole!

Sláinte

midders

Not everyone has the time to spend days to research a new pc, thats why they come here for advice and driection. :cool:

have 2 new options. found out the brother of one of my church friends builds and sells computers…tell me what you think of either of these.

1. 2.40Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8MB Cache FSB 1066
    Cooler Master RR-CCH-L9U1-GP Hyper TX2 Quiet CPU Fan/Heatsink

ASUS P5K-EPU (Intel P35, PCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 4xDDR2, 1394, 1333FSB)

8GB (2GBx4) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty

750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300

20X Samsung SH-S202G Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero

512MB nVidia GeForce 9600GT GDDR3 PCI Express DVI/Tvout

19in Black 1440x900 LCD Flat Panel Monitor 8ms Widescreen

Apevia Black X-Jupiter Jr. (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 2 Fans, Window, Front Audio/USB/1394/Temp

550watt Cooler Master eXtreme Power RS-550-PCAR

Onboard LAN included

Onboard Sound included

Stereo Speakers (black)

Black PS2 Internet Keyboard

Logitech Black USB Optical Scroll Mouse

Extra 120mm Case Fan

That’s $1,287, which includes shipping.

or…
2) 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 12MB Cache FSB 1333
Cooler Master RR-CCH-L9U1-GP Hyper TX2 Quiet CPU Fan/Heatsink

ASUS P5K-EPU (Intel P35, PCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 4xDDR2, 1394, 1333FSB)

4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty

500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300

20X Samsung SH-S202G Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero

512MB nVidia GeForce 9800GTX GDDR3 PCI Express DVI/Tvout

19in Black 1440x900 LCD Flat Panel Monitor 8ms Widescreen

Apevia Black X-Jupiter Jr. (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 2 Fans, Window, Front Audio/USB/1394/Temp

550watt Cooler Master eXtreme Power RS-550-PCAR

Onboard LAN included

Onboard Sound included

Stereo Speakers (black)

Black PS2 Internet Keyboard

Logitech Black USB Optical Scroll Mouse

Extra 120mm Case Fan

That’s $1,380, which includes shipping.

i wont be getting to have the fun of trying to build my first computer but these both appear to be great deals and i need a new computer soon, before this one completely craps out on me.

Much better buy if you ask me and I’m sure eric93se agrees with me… =)
This is from newegg.com in case you didnt notice
//Danne

Yeah Eacer, the system that Danne put together there will romp those other two, especially for gaming. That board will let you add a second 4850 video card later on when they are cheaper and you want a boost. The other option is to spend a bit more and get a 4870 instead of the 4850. Everything is an upgrade, and even though the cpu is dual core and not quad, it has a higher clock speed which is what games want.

The monitor is a little overpriced for its resolution. I would get something like this Acer X193W+BD Black 19", its 1680 x 1050, 170°(H) / 160°(V), and has a DVI input. 180 bucks.

Acer are known for slow matrix(es) (slow panels) which leads blurring and not to mention that they have bad color uniformity and poor color reproduction. There’s a reason why there are monitors that cost more than others and resolution is far from everything. If you like a poor and blurry monitors that will give you headaches in the long run then Acer is a very good brand. Keep in mind that the NEC screen is larger too…
I could recommend you a good HP monitor but that’s around 30 bucks more (for the same performance) if the NEC brand doesnt suit your taste. I’ve personally been very interested in NECs GX2 Pro screens (which are well above 550 USDs for a 20") because it gives you very good performance. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-009-NE&tool=3
//Danne

I went through all 21 pages of reviews for that acer monitor and only one person had something to say about motion blur {I searched for “blur”} and he said it was probably due to his cpu or video card, so I’m guessing that person was mistakenly referring to dropped frames or somthing. So it would seem that this acer panel is good for games.

So you honestly think that anything above (more expensive) than the Acer monitor with the same resolution wouldn’t have any better picture quality? I would recommend you to have a look (IRL) at a few Acer monitors and look at some higher end HP (22"), NEC (20+), Lenovo (24") and then state that only resolution matters.
//Danne

thanks so much for the help. you two have given me a lot i can work with. thanks for going onto newegg and putting all that together Danne. as far as graphics cards go is ATI better in your opinion than Nvidia?

Yes, gives you a much better bang for the buck
//Danne

Oh, I know that Acer is no where near the best, but not everyone wants to pay top dollar for a monitor, especially when its not 1080P.

Eacer, AMD has Nvidia by the balls right now, they’ve got price/performance/image quality all wrapped up. The 4850 or 4870 is the way to go, especially since the P45 chipset supports crossfire.

noticed the dvd burner and hard drive are OEM, what does OEM omit… what will i have to get on my own?

The only thing is the SATA cables, but your MB will come with two. Its nice to have 90 degree angled sata cables, so since your already going to order other stuff, I would get a pair of these Sata cables

What OS are you going to use? Most stay with XP since vista seems to be resource hog with little advantages.

yea, i was “lucky” enough to be one of the first to try vista…go beta testing!!
i think i am going to go with vista anyways though unless they made a version of dx10 for xp