Need information pertaining to Lite-On SOHW 812S

Greetings all,

Wonderful forum here. I have learned much. I recently purchased the 812S and have upgraded to the latest firmware version (US0N). From this point, I need a little guidance.

What is the best media for backing up DVD movies?

What is the best media for backing up data?

What is the best media for burning a DVD video production. ie. I have DVD Architect and I will be producing DVD’s for clients.

Should I consider utilizing speedhacking?

Please explain bitsetting. I have read some things on it but I’m still in the fog about it. Should I also utilize it?

There are other patched firmware versions out there for the 812S. The Codeguys page offers some of them. Should I utilize them as well?

That’s it at the moment. Thank so much for your time and consideration. Feel free to post links or feeddback however you see fit. I’m still learning and want to soon be able to contribute to this forum as well.

Jason
USA
WI, CO, CA

Hi, and welcome. :slight_smile:

What is the best media for backing up DVD movies?
What is the best media for backing up data?
What is the best media for burning a DVD video production. ie. I have DVD Architect and I will be producing DVD’s for clients.

Here’s a short list of some well-priced media in the USA that is known to work quite well for LiteOn drives. I would use the same media for all three things that you mention, because in the end, everything is stored in the same way as data on the disc–the only difference is the software used to create the data and to interpret the data.

Should I consider utilizing speedhacking?

There are other patched firmware versions out there for the 812S. The Codeguys page offers some of them. Should I utilize them as well?

Speedhacking allows you to burn good 4x-rated media at 8x. This saves you money, as 8x media costs more. The Ricoh and TY discs mentioned in the list above are media known to burn quite well when oversped to 8x.

The burn-adjust firmware applies only for 6x and 8x burns, and it basically speeds up your 6x/8x burns. Depending on the situation, it might shave off as much as 90 seconds off a full-disc burn (in other situations, the difference is more negligible). This increase in speed also has side-effects. Sometimes, it actually results in a better burn, sometimes, it results in a worse burn. We generally tell people to see if BA works well for them (as results vary). If so, then use it. Otherwise, don’t.

Please explain bitsetting. I have read some things on it but I’m still in the fog about it. Should I also utilize it?

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15289
It increases the compatibility of your discs, and there are no known ill effects to using bitsetting. As a result, I always use bitsetting whenever possible (it’s especially easy to do if your firmware has autobitsetting, because then it’ll automatically bitset everything unless you explicitly tell it not to)

Wow. Thanks for the quick feedback. I’m checking out the bitsetting as I write this. I’m not sure if I should use the Burn Adjusted patch yet but I will read more on it. Thanks again. I’m sure I will have more questions and will use the forum to help answer them (checking previous posts first them posting questions as necessary).

Thanks code65536

Sorry, couldn’t resist :wink: Quote from LiteON FAQ

Q. What is the difference between “For Data” and “For Video” for DVD+R / RW discs?
A. “For Data” disc are used for burning “Data”. “For Video” disc is used for burning “Films”. Basically there are no specific differences between the two, but it is recommended that you use “For Data” discs for burning “Data”, and “For Video” for burning “Films”.

:slight_smile:

The +R type works much better with this drive than -R disks. I use DVDs with the Ritek dye - although you should make sure it is ‘Grade A’ stuff.