Need helps w/ increasing RAM

Hi I have been visitting this site for several weeks now to help with DVD buring issues with DVDFab. My mother is asking me about upgrade her desktop systems RAM. She was told that she can no long available. Can someone please help us in anyway
System:
Dell Dimension 8200 series, Pentium 4 proc. @ 2.4GHz
256MB PC800 RDRAM
64 MB GeForce4 MX gaphics Card
40GB ATA 100, 720 RPM Hard Drive
Thank you very much for your help.

Try kahlon this is as close as I could come .You might be able to get even closer with the memory configurator at the site.
http://www.kahlon.com/rn29852_Dell_Dimension_8200_2.53G_(533MHz_FSB).html

RDRAM pricing is utterly horrid.
Using the site cholla mentioned (partly because none of the other sites I looked at had any), 1GB RDRAM PC800 costs $250 while you can easily find 4GB of modern memory (DDR2) for less than $50…
20 times more expensive for slower memory is not what I’d consider a good deal.
Considering the age of the system, and the fact that upgrading Dells tends to be an… interesting experience, I suspect it would be a better idea to replace it. As an added bonus, you’d get lower power bills and less noise by not having a Pentium4 anymore :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Spartan Phelps;2241876]Hi I have been visitting this site for several weeks now to help with DVD buring issues with DVDFab. My mother is asking me about upgrade her desktop systems RAM. She was told that she can no long available. Can someone please help us in anyway
System:
Dell Dimension 8200 series, Pentium 4 proc. @ 2.4GHz
256MB PC800 RDRAM
64 MB GeForce4 MX gaphics Card
40GB ATA 100, 720 RPM Hard Drive
Thank you very much for your help.[/QUOTE]

Also I did some google and found your system specs

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1102365

Before going anywhere and buying ram I found your system takes specific ram.

Memory capacities
64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC RDRAM

Minimum memory
128 MB

They are RDRAM. You should email Newegg and check with their customer service they might be able to help you locate the right RDRAM with your computer.

Don’t bother unless you get two (they need to be in pairs) 512Mb sticks for less than 40 bucks.
//Danne

I thought it was expensive too but I had bought some RAM from Kahlon because for me it was the best price for what I needed.
I first tried some Corsair Spec wise it was the same as my OEM except larger size.I thought because of that it would be the same both being 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 667 PC2 5300 CL5 .The Corsair didn’t work & I had to return it which cost me a 20% restocking charge.
I then went to the Lenovo site & found the exact memory I had & the larger size copied the OEM part number. Then tried some of the various memory companies Memory Configurators.Kalon has one of the better ones & matched my memory by OEM part number .Their configurator came up with the same by computer model.
So if a person can get the OEM part number that is the best way to match what you need.A lot of the time you can get this directly off the RAM stick (memory module).
Wish I had known that in the first place.
I paid Kahlon $54.00 for 4GB of RAM for my computer shipping included.It is working fine even if Vista 32 bit only recognizes 2.93 GB of it.

[QUOTE=cholla;2242494]
I paid Kahlon $54.00 for 4GB of RAM for my computer shipping included.It is working fine even if Vista 32 bit only recognizes 2.93 GB of it.[/QUOTE]

You found the one limit of 32 bit O/S whether XP or Vista. You have to have 64 bit O/S XP or Vista to recognize RAM above 2.5G. That is why I expanded my system to only 2.5G and it works fine on my XP pro sp3 system.

System Information reports it as 2.93 GB so maybe that’s what Vista recognizes .I have always been told equal size sticks work the best .I knew a 32 bit OS like Vista would not recognize all 4GB.From what I researched on this it is because a 32 bit system can only map 4 GB total but it has more than just RAM to map in a working OS.So what ever mapping is left from running the rest of the OS is reported as the amount of RAM or total Physical memory.

If the mobo can remap the RAM over 3gb, you can access up to 3.6GB of RAM even with a 32bit OS.