Need helping choosing a DVD-Writer

vbimport

Hello, I am trying to decide on which burners to buy. I want to buy one external and another internal. I narrowed down my options to the following:

Internal:
ASUS DRW-24B5ST
ASUS DRW-24D3ST

External:
ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U LITE
Samsung SE-208DB

Checking both the internal burners specs on ASUS website. DRW-24B5ST shows as having the E-Hammer option and higher read and write speeds than DRW-24D3ST. Though, the site mentions that DRW-24D3ST has the OTS Technology (best burning quality according to the website). So, I am not sure what to pick.

As for the external burners I can see they are both good based on specs. Though, the Samsung drive has USB 3.0 support.

Any feedback is apprecaited. Note that those are the only burners available where I currently live. Thanks for your time.

[QUOTE=drive;2753950]Hello, I am trying to decide on which burners to buy. I want to buy one external and another internal. I narrowed down my options to the following:

Internal:
ASUS DRW-24B5ST
ASUS DRW-24D3ST

External:
ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U LITE
Samsung SE-208DB

Checking both the internal burners specs on ASUS website. DRW-24B5ST shows as having the E-Hammer option and higher read and write speeds than DRW-24D3ST. Though, the site mentions that DRW-24D3ST has the OTS Technology (best burning quality according to the website). So, I am not sure what to pick.

As for the external burners I can see they are both good based on specs. Though, the Samsung drive has USB 3.0 support.

Any feedback is apprecaited. Note that those are the only burners available where I currently live. Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]

What you want to verify is can those drive booktype/bitset aka…writing DVD+R and DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM…if it can’t do that then don’t buy they drive.

Sadly, I do not have access to the drives until I buy them. Hopefully, someone who has them will reply to this thread.

The first internal Asus (B5) should be a LiteOn. The second (D3) might be an LG. The LG DVDRW drives have a weird range of speed choices, and bit setting cannot be toggled (though I think that means it’s always enabled, which is generally good). When it comes to overall quality of writes on good media, they should be similar, but I would give the nod to the B5 when it comes to using everyday media (LiteOn drives tend to handle everyday media a bit better).

As for the external drives available to you, the few results I have seen from the Asus have been okay. The Samsung’s results have been fine, too, but Samsung’s slim drives have randomly had weird problems with some media as of late, so I would give the edge to the Asus. I’m not sure who is the OEM behind the Asus drive (I would guess LG, but I can’t be sure).

[QUOTE=Albert;2753976]The first internal Asus (B5) should be a LiteOn. The second (D3) might be an LG. The LG DVDRW drives have a weird range of speed choices, and bit setting cannot be toggled (though I think that means it’s always enabled, which is generally good).[/QUOTE]

I know I already tried LG the newest drive and it doesn’t bitset/booktype so they lost my business for upgrade drives…

[QUOTE=Albert;2753976]When it comes to overall quality of writes on good media, they should be similar, but I would give the nod to the B5 when it comes to using everyday media (LiteOn drives tend to handle everyday media a bit better).[/QUOTE]

My old trusty BD Liteon burner 212 still works and does booktype/bitsetting automatically which I like.

[QUOTE=Albert;2753976]As for the external drives available to you, the few results I have seen from the Asus have been okay. The Samsung’s results have been fine, too, but Samsung’s slim drives have randomly had weird problems with some media as of late, so I would give the edge to the Asus. I’m not sure who is the OEM behind the Asus drive (I would guess LG, but I can’t be sure).[/QUOTE]

I avoid external this being my experience with a LS BPNS40 drive seems to fail consistently when trying to write BD media.

Ok, thanks a lot for the information. Very helpful.

lg is good

[QUOTE=aslubeti;2761755]lg is good[/QUOTE]
As in? Drive/Model? Without that the post is meaningless.