Need help with new Lite-On

Hi,
My old lite-on 1653S is dead :sad:it wont read DVDs anymore but strangely enough it burns them well.

So i went out for a new ODD and the dealer had two models. MoserBear Lite-on [ DH-20A3S and DH-20A4P ]

I am completely confused as to which one to buy and what is the diffrence between them. All i know is that with one with the S is Serial ATA and one with the P is a Parallel ATA.

Also the lite-on page on the drives says PC required “HDD must have access time < 20ms” how do i tell if my HDD has access time less than that? I have a SATA Segate HDD and the top of it says Baracuda 7200rpm…does that help?

I have a limited budget just enough to buy it…so wanna do it right. Help would be greatly appreciated :bigsmile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard DanMidou. :iagree: :clap:
I am not sure anyone knows the full differences between these model variations.
However my experpience is that the IDE models are [U]marginally[/U] more consistant with results.
Both burning & scanning.
Having said that I prefer SATA, simply because of the tidiness it offers inside the PC case.
If you have both options available to you (by this I mean your setup will allow SATA ODD’s to run/ check SATA controllers compatability. Otherwise to run SATA ODD’s will mean more cost. To acquire a PCI SATA controller card).
If your OK with SATA & IDE.
Then maybe, just toss a coin.
Heads for SATA & tails for IDE.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DanMidou;2006027]…Also the lite-on page on the drives says PC required “HDD must have access time < 20ms” how do i tell if my HDD has access time less than that? I have a SATA Segate HDD and the top of it says Baracuda 7200rpm…does that help?..[/QUOTE]Don’t think you need to worry about HDD’s accestime. :slight_smile:
But if still uncertain, run HD Tune (freeware) and you’ll get all details. :wink:

Thanks for the help guys :slight_smile:

@zebadee-i am thinking of going with the 20A4P…first because i have just one SATA port left (HDD is on the other one) and have a free primary IDE and secondary IDE which i think i should use :confused:…could keep the other SATA for a new HDD in the future maybe? Plus the system supports UDMA Mode 6 (133mbps) and the A4P uses up to Mode 4?..so i guess the IDE should be good enough :slight_smile:
Second, the A4 has the MT1898E chip set and the A3 has the MT1858L…i suck at the tech stuff but i am guessing that the newer the better :bigsmile: and the DVDINFOPro screenie on one site said that the A4 has microcode upgrade (w/e that is lol)

@pinto2-thanks for the utility…it worked great :iagree: i have a access time of 12ms so i am in the clear!

I think i am thinking too much now :eek:…also please correct me if i am wrong in anything…i am not exactly a tech-guy in these cases…just goggle a lot XD

Hi :slight_smile:
Coming back to thread I find it interesting that you have, in effect answered your question.
The DH-20A4P is the newer (& in theory the more adaptable).
Very popular with Lite-On user’s here.
So I suggest you go with that.
As for the HD question (which again you’ve answered with pinto2’s help :bow: ).
A quick look on Seagate’s site would’ve told that all their current drive’s are quoted @ <16 sec. In fact I think they quote a figure of 11. But there are variations depending on your setup.

I suggest you buy DH-20A3S

20A4 series have some problem when it burn CD at 16X.
JITTER is higher。some CD players can not read it.

Gonna get my new drive tomm!:bigsmile: (Holiday on Sun and Mon…2days?lol)

@bravetmf-Does the A4 have that problem with DVDs as well?I normally burn them at 4x on 1653s for better quality.And i have almost never burned a CD (even for audio i use a RW DVD for my standalone player)

Also could someone tell me what this is? “MTBF (Life) 70000 POH”

Looked it up and goggle said Mean Time Between Failures…so is that 70k hours? Cos thats like 8 years…right? :eek:

[QUOTE=DanMidou;2007364]Gonna get my new drive tomm!:bigsmile: (Holiday on Sun and Mon…2days?lol)

@bravetmf-Does the A4 have that problem with DVDs as well?I normally burn them at 4x on 1653s for better quality.And i have almost never burned a CD (even for audio i use a RW DVD for my standalone player)

Also could someone tell me what this is? “MTBF (Life) 70000 POH”

Looked it up and goggle said Mean Time Between Failures…so is that 70k hours? Cos thats like 8 years…right? :eek:[/QUOTE]

POH stands for Power On Hours, regarding the life of the drive.

got my new lite-on :slight_smile: but there is a problem. the firmware version is 9M71 and i cannot update it to the new one on the lite-on website. It says its the wrong drive. (MOSER BAER DH-20A4P 9M71) Can someone tell me whats wrong?

I have the same problem here! I have just bought “MOSER BAER DH-20A4P”… the Official Litey firmware won’t touch it! Mayb cause MOSERBAER has bought LITEON in India, and they mean 2 do something else, mayb start a dffrnt support site, although so far Zilch.
Don’t know what to do…BTW how’s ur experience with ur MOSERBAER drive?