Need help with my NEC ND-3540A DVD-RW

vbimport

Hi Guys :bigsmile:

This is my first posting on this forum, so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before.

I have recently purchased a near new Lacie branded NEC ND-3540A 8x External USB DVD-RW DL drive, and I am having serious problems with the burning side of things.

I can burn DVDs, however instead of burning at the 8x it is supposed to burn at, it rarely buffers over 0.6x, and the highest it seems to want to burn is 0.7x. I have tried updating the firmware with both Original NEC 1.4 firmware and Dee’s 1.4 firmware based on the original with no new results.

I tried using Bulkpaq and Ritek 16x DVD-R, yet neither shows a difference, and it took 1 hour and 20 mins earlier today just to burn a image file to DVD at the ridiculously slow speed of 0.6x… and Nero CD-DVD Speed shows the same info when I run speed tests.

Anyone know why it is burning so slow? even setting the speed at Maximum or 8x when burning doesn’t make it go faster then 0.7x… If anyone can please help me work out this burning speed issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

if it helps I could do Nero CD-DVD/Nero Info Tool tests and show screen shots here if anyone needs to see more info.

Check DMA.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2012906]Check DMA.[/QUOTE]
On an external USB drive? :confused:

Maybe it’s working at USB1.1 speeds instead of usb2 speeds?

So we would need to know which chipset is used on the motherboard.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2013303]On an external USB drive? :confused:[/QUOTE]

My bad…

hi guys,

sorry I haven’t replied sooner, but I’ve been away for a week.

I don’t have any USB2.0 ports on my pc I don’t think… could that be a major problem, is that why I could be only getting around 1x or less?

Liggy, how do I found out what chipset is used on the motherboard? do you have to look on your M/B or can you find out in XP?

With this post I am also attaching a image of a Simulation Burn for a full 4.7gb dvd-r I just did in Nero 6… as you can see I set it to the fastest available burning speed in Nero, but in reality it was a very slow burn as you can see by Total time.

[QUOTE=IceWolf;2020096]I don’t have any USB2.0 ports on my pc I don’t think… could that be a major problem, is that why I could be only getting around 1x or less?[/QUOTE]
Only having USB 1.1 ports would explain why you cannot reach higher speeds. Even with USB 2.0 ports, some hardware has problems achieving 16x or even higher speeds.

Liggy, how do I found out what chipset is used on the motherboard? do you have to look on your M/B or can you find out in XP?

Device manager might show what you have. Here the system devices and USB controller might give a hint.

thanks for reply Liggy… it really helped.

I wasn’t sure if I was using USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports; I looked in Device Manager like you suggested, but that gave nothing away… so I went online to HP website and looked up my pc specs and I come to the conclusion that it only has 1.1 ports :a

Actually I am quite surprised that Nero even shows the available disc burning speed as 16x, as I thought this was only a 8x Lacie branded ND-3540A… guess the guy that sold it to me is gonna be pissed when he finds out he advertised and sold a USB 2.0 16x as a 8x :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve tried just about all the modded firmware for this drive that is on your page, and it’s always the same result… so it must be the usb ports/speed.

I guess I just need to upgrade to a better pc with USB 2.0 ports to see a better result then 1x with this drive… are those USB 2.0 add-in cards any good? as it has been suggested to me to get one. or are you better getting a pc with 2.0 ports on it already?

[QUOTE=IceWolf;2021703]so I went online to HP website and looked up my pc specs and I come to the conclusion that it only has 1.1 ports :a[/QUOTE]
Suficcient for a 1x DVD burn :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=IceWolf;2021703]Actually I am quite surprised that Nero even shows the available disc burning speed as 16x, as I thought this was only a 8x Lacie branded ND-3540A…[/QUOTE]
The 3540 is a 16x burner. Quite old, but also pretty reliable. I use this drive for quality scanning at 16x.

[QUOTE=IceWolf;2021703]are those USB 2.0 add-in cards any good? as it has been suggested to me to get one. or are you better getting a pc with 2.0 ports on it already?[/QUOTE]
No idea about them. Try searching the forum. There might already be some threads about this.