Need help with my IDE and SATA drives please!

I just built my first computer and am having difficulties installing windows. I was able to succesfully install windows on my SATA drive (320GB Seagate SATAII), but I wanted to use this drive solely for video. So I hooked up my older Hitachi Deskstar 120 GB harddrive that I had to my IDE connection on my new Gigabyte motherboard. I unplugged my SATA drive, set RAID settings under BIOS to ATA instead of SATA, then inserted my Windows XP disk into my CDROM drive and started the computer. The XP startup starts, installs the initial drivers, then when it tries to start installing Windows, I get a blue screen STOP error. What could be the problem? I tried using my other IDE drive I had (Hitachi 200GB Deskstar) and the same problem happens. Yet, when I start Windows on my SATA drive, both ATA drives appear in Windows and I can access them. I am able to install windows without any problems on my Hitachi 120 if I do it on another computer, but it worries me that I can’t do it on my new one. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would think you need to disable RAID in the BIOS if you’re not using it.

I would have to agree, you are not using any sort of RAID array and your Windows start up is freezing as soon as it attempts to access the HD. Set all your drives to non-Raid.

What is the model of your motherboard? Some days ago I saw the same problem with Gigabyte mainboard on i915 chipset. It had one native IDE connector (serviced by i915 chipset), and two additional IDE connectors (serviced by some VIA chipset). The problem appeared every time I connected CD-ROM or IDE-HDD to any of the two additional IDE-connectors, and no problems while connecting CD and HDD to native Intel IDE connector.
I suppose, that making a diskette with drivers (which must reside on motherboard CD) for that VIA chipset and giving it to Windows Setup during the first phase (when pressing F6 is needed) would solve this problem. :doh:

change the harddisk setting to legacy in bios