Need help with my DVD R/RW please

Okay, after much trouble, I have figured out that I have a DD0401 DVD R/RW drive. I’m not sure if it’s an optiwrite or accesstek or whatever, but I do know it’s a DD0401. The problem is that it has stopped playing cd’s. It plays DVD’s just fine(watching one now), but it won’t play audio cd’s or PC cd’s. It won’t recognize them at all. I’ve ‘googled’ for answers to this, but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Any and all help would be much appreciated. And if you couldn’t tell, I’m a complete Noob at this.

I’m having exactly the same problem (see my post below “Can read DVDs but not CDs”). First you have to try booting with a CD from the drive: enter the BIOS, make sure that it’s set to boot from the DVD drive before than the hard disk, and boot with some CD that you have (Windows installation disk, a Linux CD, etc.). From there:

-If it doesn’t boot either, it’s your drive that it’s defective. You can return it if it’s still in warranty, or you can scrap it. I’ve been advised (see post below) to open it and try cleaning the lens, but haven’t gotten around to do so yet, so I don’t know if it will work.

-If it does boot, then it’s a problem with Windows. Can’t help you there in that case (since my problem is a hardware one), though other people in the forum advise to try deleting the IDE controllers and the DVD drive from System Manager and letting Windows detecting them again.

did you flash the drive with dangerous brothers firmware ? if so, then that is the issue