Need help with LTD-163D

Several months ago, I purchased this drive and immediately flashed it to the 163 (not 163D) firmware GH5E, which does not cache data (as to increase speed of Exact Audio Copy ripping). Anyhow the drive was working just fine, and for the most part still is, at least as far as reading CD’s and original DVD’s.

However, I recently purchased a Sony DRU-500a DVD burner, and when I put the discs created with that into the Liteon to read them, the drive makes a terrible clicking noise which I am sure is not good for the disc, nor the drive.

Basically then, I need help with 2 things. First, I was wondering if I updated the firmware back to the original 163D if it would help it read DVD-R and DVD-RW discs. If so, then I run into another problem, and that is the fact that I lost the floppy that had my original firmware backed up with Mktflash on it, and the ‘official firmware’ from Liteon wont let me use it because it thinks its the wrong drive.

If anyone has any ideas or can point me in the right direction on what to do, I would greatly appreciate it!

p.s. - if I do successfully update the correct firmware, could the manufacturer tell if had been previously flashed with a non-conforming firmware?

You can get LTD-163D binary files (flashable with MTKFlash) at Alex Noe’s Liteon Firmware.

Whether or not this will help your reading is questionable, but I suppose it is worth a try. Both the 163 and the 163D share the same specs, and both should read DVD-R and DVD-RW discs with no problems.

Awesome! Worked like a charm. Thanks for your help!