Need Help with Lite-On DVD Writer 1635S

Hey guyz?

A friend referred me to this site and I was hoping u guys could help me figure out whats wrong with my writer and If I can fix it.

As per the title, its a Lite-On DVDRW SHW-1635S with latest firmware YS0Z. At present it cannot read or write to any cd media,but it can read and write dvd media. This started out when it couldnt write audio or video cds - a power callibration error showed up when writing with nero. I read around, got a tool called LtnFW, backed up the firmware, exactly 1mb in size, then tried flashing it again with the same firmware version but downloaded from the lite-on site, hoping it could get fixed, but it was a no go.

How do i fix it, is it possible to get it at least to read cd’s, let alone write? Is it also possible to crossflash with another firmware and if so which one and would it be fixed? Ive heard this drive has issues with cd media so am hoping I could get some help. If need of any more info, any questions, post back and I’ll provide whatever you need.

Thanks.

What are your system specs, and how do you have it hooked up?

Sounds like a bad laser as there are 2 one for CD’s and one for DVD’s.
You could try it in another computer to rule out a system problem but you may need a new one.
Too bad, the 1635 is a real nice burner. You can get another burner for around $30 USD at newegg.

I have a 1635S that stopped recognizing DVDs. If it’s a laser issue as someone else said, you should be able to make one good drive out of yours and mine. I’ll send you mine for the cost of postage (if you feel like adding a little extra, I won’t complain, but the drive’s no use to me right now except as a paperweight, so no big loss).

Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

That will not work. Even if that worked mechanically, you will not get the calibration done well.

It recognizes and even burns dvd’s, the problem is with [B]cd’s only[/B]… Any other suggestions?

My system specs are as shown…

CPU : Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 3000 MHz
Bus Speed : 200 MHz
Motherboard : Kobian PVM4
System : Kobian PVM4
BIOS : AMI 080012
Memory : 512 MB
Sound : Realtek AC97 Audio
Video : RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary

ASPI Information

System ASPI : ASPI is installed and working properly

WNASPI32.DLL : 4.60 (1021) 45056 bytes September 10, 1999
ASPI32.SYS : 4.60 (1021) 25244 bytes September 10, 1999
WINASPI.DLL : 4.60 (1021) 5600 bytes September 10, 1999
WOWPOST.EXE : 4.60 (1021) 4672 bytes September 10, 1999

Nero ASPI : ASPI is installed and working properly

WNASPI32.DLL : 2.0.1.74 164112 bytes November 02, 2004

Thanks for the replies.

Lens cleaner possibly.

Thanks Tim for the suggestion, but if the lens were dirty then it would be having issues with both cd’s and dvd’s… or what am I missing??

What about EEPROM or maybe crossflashing with another firmware form the same generation… Any help very appreciated…

Thanks so far…

BUMP…

Anyone out there with a solution for this… Thanks.

There’s about a 99% chance that the following has happened:

the laser used for reading/writing CDs in your drive has died.

DVDs still work fine because there are two separate lasers, one for DVD and one for CD.

With new drives running around US$30, just buy a new one.