Need help with HP 940d

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD940i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a HP DVD 940d
I think its the Lite-On because it has the little hole on the left side

I’m trying to flash it into LiteOn LH-18A1H but i can’t

as u can see… Flash Utility doesn’t read the drive

I’m using XP Pro

please help

Somewhere on the drive, the HP label should indicate what the drive really is in small print. It is usually listed twice, but you really have to search the label. Look for lines beginning with things such as “PLDS”, “HLDS”, “HL-DT-ST”, “LG”, “LiteOn”, “TSST”, “Optiarc”, or other strings that could indicate the true drive manufacturer. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DuhQbnSiLo;2133440][qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD940i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a HP DVD 940d
I think its the Lite-On because it has the little hole on the left side

I’m trying to flash it into LiteOn LH-18A1H but i can’t

as u can see… Flash Utility doesn’t read the drive

I’m using XP Pro

please help[/QUOTE]

The flash utility will only flash liteon drives. The flash utility is seeing an HP drive, not a liteon therefore no flash.

It works with OEM firmware as long as it is a LiteOn drive. Historically, these drives WERE LiteOns, and could be easily flashed with the Flash Utility [as was the case with my 1040d] regardless to it having HP or LiteOn firmware. :wink:

so wut can i do???

[QUOTE=DuhQbnSiLo;2134113]so wut can i do???[/QUOTE]

Look at the sticker/label on the actual drive, as Albert advised in post #2. :wink:

I see LIT-SH-16A7H(B)

Then it’s a LiteOn :iagree:

What are your system specifications? There may be a rogue IDE/PATA controller issue here preventing the Flash Utility from correctly querying the drive and IDing it as a LiteOn.

In the worst case scenario, you might need to contact C0deKing [I hope he doesn’t mind me recommending him] about possible ways to see how to backup the firmware from the drive as well as to write firmware to the drive.

Windows XP Pro
Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon™ XP 1500+
1.35 GHz, 1GB of Ram

Motherboard model [if the computer is self-built], or computer make and model [if the computer was made by someone like Dell, HP, etc]?

MSI KT4 Ultra

Are you using the latest PATA drivers from VIA for the PATA controller? If not, try to update them and check again.

If that fails to work, see if you can use Windows stock PATA drivers by going to Device Manager and manually “updating” the VIA PATA controller to use the Standard PCI IDE Controller driver.

Try the lastest LtnFlash v2 and see if that enables the flash button for this drive.

[B]NOTE:[/B] Be very careful, as it is very easy to kill your drive if the chipset does not match, and the drive will also not be usable if the EEPROM checksum is different!

wut do i do wit LtnFlash v2 there so many options

it reads the Flash Id but Flash Utility still doesn’t

anyone?