Need help with HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSAH11N Please

vbimport

Hi just joined and am looking for some advice re me dvdrw. It has worked fine since I bought the pc over a year ago but today I went to rip a new cd and its not working. Only change that I have made recently is that I installed napster yesterday, dont think that would affect it?? :confused:

Control panel shows following message:

Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. have restarted pc, disabled then enaled and dont have a clue what else to do!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Try to restore to before you installed Napster.
Did you try to uninstall drive using Device Manager and let Window find the drive on start up?

Hi thanks for your reply,
just tried system restore and its done the trick. had thot of doing that but hoped I wouldnt have to. decided it was worth a try tho, as napster was the only change I had made that could’ve affected it. not sure if I should reinstall napster now tho if its going to cause problems with my dvd player?
will need to cancel my subscription!

just glad its working again

thank you x

Hi and Welcome![quote=claire_c;2044739]
Control panel shows following message:

Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)[/quote]For further reference:
You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: “error code 31”
(MS Knowledge Base Article)

I would reload Napster just to see if that was the problem, but set a restore point before you do that.
Check what [B][I]mciahel[/I][/B] pointed to. It is a long process, but it may work.