Need help with DL media writing

OK, I am a frustrated user of competative products. To make a long story short, I bought DVDcopy 123 only to find out that not only my existing drive was not supported but, I could not find any supported drives at any local stores. Then I bought DVDfab and got it to work on about 50 of my dvds before it stopped working a few weeks ago with an update that was supposed to fix the issues.

I just installed the trial version of CloneDVD2 to test and was able to copy a dvd from HD to a standard dvd-r media wihtout an issue. But, when I tried to copy another movie to a DVD-r DL media, it keeps giving me an error saying that the source files are too big.

I am only trying to copy the main title without any extras and can otherwise access the dvd without any issues from windows. I have tried to use several disks and have the same issue. I selected the DVD -+r DL instead of the dvd5 option during the setup.

I would appreciate any help
Thanks
syous

syous611 -

Your problem could be related to DVD Burner Firmware and/or Blank DL DVD Media. Using DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com) or DVD Info (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) provide the Name/Model/Firmware of your DVD Burner and the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of your Blank DL DVD Media.

BeLooken

Thanks BeLooken for the help.
Here is the media info:

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEKP01
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 4250959872
Free Capacity 7.96GB(8.55GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-RDL
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Layer 0 end sector 22EF5Fh
Linear Density 0.293um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 2
Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 00 42 00 00 01 02 91 FD D1 0A 60 00 02 00 00 00 .B…`…
00000010 33 2B 00 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 50 00 04 30 31 00 3+…RITEKP…01.
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

I could not include the graphic file that had the drive info so I have copied the following info:

Drive PHILIPS SPD2410L1
Firmware M5P4
buffer size 2048kb
Connection interface Atapi / IDE
Drive interface Atapi-3
Region code 1
Region Control RPC-2
user changes left 4
Vendor changes left 4

Let me know if there is other info you need.

Thanks again
syous611

OK, I learned how to add the image. Here is the drive info image in case you needed it.

thanks again
syous611

you left out imp info
what type of DL are you using?
if other than verbatim DL
then sorry you are SOL

ALso CloneCD + AnyDVD works best IMHO for doing DL

You have used a variety of different programs I would recommend uninstalling all your burn programs and start fresh.

Make sure that the firmware for your drive is up-to-date

As highlighted above RITEKP01. This is not the greatest media to use it can be hit or miss on quality. Verbatim is recommended for DL burning.

As highlighted above DVD-R DL. This is the newest format on the block and is not widely supported format by dvd players. I recommend that you use DvD+R DL and booktype it to DvD-Rom if your drive will allow it.

There are several different combos of programs that you can use for DL and these are just some.

DvD FaB Decrypter + DvD region free
AnyDvD + DvD Decrypter
RipIt4Me + DvD Decrypter
AnyDvD + Clonecd

:cool: :cool:

The best way to make backups with DL discs and Slysoft products is the following:

1. Use Clonecd (not Clonedvd2) + Anydvd
  2. Use Verbatim +R DL discs only (to preserve the original layer break position). Don’t use -R DL discs–and don’t use anything other than Verbatim

Problem solved. Period.

:iagree:

Thanks for all the help. I do have a fresh install of WinXP with only dvdfab and clonedvd2. I will get rid of them and try the suggested combos. Also, will only get verbatim from now on. One question about the -r vs +r. I thought that -r was more widely supported, especailly in older drives. I have three dvd players in the house and not all the dvds I burn work in all three. -r has been fine (once I can burn) but I have not tried +r.

Thanks again
syous

When using + media, you must booktype your media to DVD-ROM, for broader compatability.

If you are burning to SL media DVD-R is fine, when it comes to DVD-R DL that is not the case. This is why you must use DvD+R DL and booktype it to DvD-Rom to make it more compatiable with home dvd players.

In a nutshell.

The difference between DvD-R and DvD-R DL is that there lead in structure are different and cannot be changed and it is the lead in structure of DvD-R DL that has issues right now with current DvD players. Where as by using +R or +R DL media it allows you to change the lead in structure ( Booktyping ) to make it more compatiable with DvD players.

:cool: :cool: