Need help with CDRW

vbimport

I recently purchased 10x cdrw disk from CompUSA. When I try to write from a image file to the cdrw disk, my computer freezes eventually. The log window indicates "lead-in", and the percentage completed is 1 %. I have to restart the computer. I have try it several times (at 8x, 10x, and MAX), but it is not working. Is it a problem relating to the CompUSA cdrw disk or is it caused by driver. Any solutions?

It don’t think it is the problem with the disc.
I think MAYBE that your cd-writer is a CDR writer…
Did you try other brands?

I am using Yamaha 2200 EZ 20x 40x 10x cdrw

I haven’t tried any other rewritable cd’s yet. I think I’ll go return the product and buy another brand.

But still, what is the problem? Can anyone give me any advice?

(I also try to burn stuff in the compUSA cd rewritable disk at 2x and 4x. None of them worked)

Originally posted by johnnylien
But still, what is the problem? Can anyone give me any advice?
Yes try a different brand of CD-RW’s. Worth a try and they’re not very expensive.

What I say is that if u buy cheap u get cheap…well something like that:o .

Its is really worth spending a tiny bit more on CDR-W’s to get a good grade of disc, ather all they are not as expensive as they were 5 years ago, and they can be formated…so no waste.

I use TraxData, which only burn at 10x CDR-W, but me CDR-W that came with me Plex 40x writes at 12x…

I have quite a few TraxData CDR-W cus I find them reliable.

Bartman:cool:

Hmmmm,

You buy cheap you get cheap?

I don’t agree with this because I have used cheap (<£0.30p) cd-r and have also used well known brands such as TDK (~£0.75p), Sony etc. and I have never had any problems with the cheaper discs.

Maybe I have just been lucky?

Spunky :slight_smile:

After many trials, I finally found a solution to the problem. It was to disable DMA and use PIO. However, I know that PIO is generally slower than DMA. Also, PIO does not have built in error correction. But the transferring rate for 20x buring is less than the lowest PIO burst speeds 3.33 MB/s.
My question is, does PIO affects the writing speed or not? Would PIO increase the chance of burning error significantly?

Originally posted by johnnylien
After many trials, I finally found a solution to the problem. It was to disable DMA and use PIO. However, I know that PIO is generally slower than DMA. Also, PIO does not have built in error correction. But the transferring rate for 20x buring is less than the lowest PIO burst speeds 3.33 MB/s.
My question is, does PIO affects the writing speed or not? Would PIO increase the chance of burning error significantly?

The difference of concern is CPU overhead. A PIO device cannot/will not busmaster and therefore bypass the CPU. PIO will not ‘affect’ your writing speed if you have NO background apps (that actually work in the backgound - like MS FindFast) running. Check MSCONFIG for startup apps - leave three checked if you want to go real clean:

taskmonitor
system tray
scanreg