Need help with adding a GeForce 6800 PCE Graphics card to my pos Hp pavilion 500 pc

Ok so I went out and got a GeForce 6800 for my computer to play DAoC better, little did I know my old computer had no PCI-e slot :doh: , so after searching the web a bit I know I have to buy a new mobo. Can you guys tell me what mobo I need and what else I have to get for my computer to use the gcard?

It would be easier to make suggestions if you provide the specs for you computer, make and model, the amount of RAM, the size of the PSU, and the size of your hdd and what the available space is.

Depending on the age of the machine it may be a poor investment to put anymore money into it. BFG suggests that you will need a 480W PSU for that card. If you up grade the motherboard you may wind up having to upgrade the CPU and RAM as well.

Here are the system minimum requirements:

Intel Pentium®III, Celeron®, AMD® Duron™ or Athlon™ class processor or higher
>> 128MB of RAM
>> Microsoft Windows XP
>> CD or DVD-ROM drive
>> 35M B available hard disk space(50MB for full installation)
>> A minimum 480W system power supply
>> A PCI Express compliant motherboard.
>> Two available hard disk drive power dongles (smaller floppy disk drive connector
is not sufficient)

Obviously they’re smoking something if they believe that the suggested amount of RAM is going to run an OS moderately well, much less play these current games that can eat 512MB without a hiccup.

The GeForce 6800-series cards will need some good power from the PSU. Most likely, the PSU from your HP will NOT be able to run it well. From checking out some general specifications of your computer, it looks like it’s a socket-478 Intel-based CPU, using 168-pin SDRAM, and possibly lacking an AGP slot. Honestly, I wouldn’t even spend the time, money, and effort to upgrade that Pavilion. It’s time for a new computer.

[QUOTE=dc3;1641986]It would be easier to make suggestions if you provide the specs for you computer, make and model, the amount of RAM, the size of the PSU, and the size of your hdd and what the available space is.

Depending on the age of the machine it may be a poor investment to put anymore money into it. BFG suggests that you will need a 480W PSU for that card. If you up grade the motherboard you may wind up having to upgrade the CPU and RAM as well.

Here are the system minimum requirements:

Intel Pentium®III, Celeron®, AMD® Duron™ or Athlon™ class processor or higher
>> 128MB of RAM
>> Microsoft Windows XP
>> CD or DVD-ROM drive
>> 35M B available hard disk space(50MB for full installation)
>> A minimum 480W system power supply
>> A PCI Express compliant motherboard.
>> Two available hard disk drive power dongles (smaller floppy disk drive connector
is not sufficient)

Obviously they’re smoking something if they believe that the suggested amount of RAM is going to run an OS moderately well, much less play these current games that can eat 512MB without a hiccup.[/QUOTE]

OOPs teh box lists min of 350 watt power supply just to let you know.

I guess, the problem has been solved somehow in the last 4 years after this thread had been started :bigsmile:

Michael
Welcome @myce :slight_smile:

Yeah, welcome :sad: :bigsmile: