Need help with a video conversion

vbimport

Hey everyone. Hope you guys can help me with this little problem. I’ve read all I could about my situation, and I’m still trying to make heads or tails from my dilemma.

So I have this video that’s 1280x720 resolution. When I convert it to DVD, I do get the letterbox (which is fine), but it also gets cut off on the sides of the video - just a little. This will be viewed mainly on a 4:3 TV, by the way.

If I convert the video to 640x480, it seems that the video does not get cut off on the sides, and there are black borders around the whole video. However, if I wanted to get a new widescreen TV, then I’m going to have black borders on the side, no? My PC LCD is showing the black borders when I view the video, already.

What I’m trying to accomplish is keeping the aspect ratio of the video without it getting cut off on the sides whether I switch from a 4:3 TV or 16:9 TV, or my PC for that matter. Unless that is, it’s technically impossible. :frowning:

I’m using TMPGEnc 4.0 Express to convert the video.

Clip Settings are 1:1 pixel.
Filters > Picture Resize > Full Screen (Keep aspect ratio).

Then format settings are:
Size: 720x480, Aspect Ratio: 16:9.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance guys! :smiley:

Have you looked at ConvertXdvd 3 to see if it will fit your converstion need?

The borders on the 640x480 are likely because it isn’t a standard DVD resolution. Try 720x480.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

[QUOTE=kimmie;2163466]Hey everyone. Hope you guys can help me with this little problem. I’ve read all I could about my situation, and I’m still trying to make heads or tails from my dilemma.

So I have this video that’s 1280x720 resolution. When I convert it to DVD, I do get the letterbox (which is fine), but it also gets cut off on the sides of the video - just a little. This will be viewed mainly on a 4:3 TV, by the way.

If I convert the video to 640x480, it seems that the video does not get cut off on the sides, and there are black borders around the whole video. However, if I wanted to get a new widescreen TV, then I’m going to have black borders on the side, no? My PC LCD is showing the black borders when I view the video, already.

What I’m trying to accomplish is keeping the aspect ratio of the video without it getting cut off on the sides whether I switch from a 4:3 TV or 16:9 TV, or my PC for that matter. Unless that is, it’s technically impossible. :frowning:

I’m using TMPGEnc 4.0 Express to convert the video.

Clip Settings are 1:1 pixel.
Filters > Picture Resize > Full Screen (Keep aspect ratio).

Then format settings are:
Size: 720x480, Aspect Ratio: 16:9.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance guys! :D[/QUOTE]

So how exactly did YOU create those source files??

Sorry for the late reply guys, been busy with the hectic season and all. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dogg;2164116]The borders on the 640x480 are likely because it isn’t a standard DVD resolution. Try 720x480.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I got the same with 720x480. It was the first setting I tried when i converted the videos. :confused: The reason why I used 640x480 is so that I get a black border on the width of the video so it doesn’t crop into the picture.

[QUOTE=chef;2166372]So how exactly did YOU create those source files??[/QUOTE]
I didn’t create them. They’re movie trailers that are in 720p from various websites. Like, [I]t_left4d_opening_cm_v3_h264.wmv[/I] and [I]MirrorsEdge.PC.Trailer.720p.6mbps.Guru3D.mov[/I] just to name a few.

The strange thing is that if I import it as a 4:3 movie and convert them as 16:9, they get the letterbox which is great, but there seems to be quite a few pixels cropped off on the side. It’s not a huge deal as I know this should carry over fine if I were to get a widescreen TV, but it does seem to get cropped. It plays perfectly fine on my LCD, though. Really strange. :o

Could it be my TV set? It’s failry new, and DVD movies play perfectly fine in them as far as ratio goes. I guess I should post over at the TMPGEnc forums, but it’s dead there.

[QUOTE=kimmie;2163466]Hey everyone. Hope you guys can help me with this little problem. I’ve read all I could about my situation, and I’m still trying to make heads or tails from my dilemma.

[/QUOTE]
That’s just the way it is. All TVs overscan. When you get a new TV get a high end one that allows you to adjust/minimize the overscan.

If you want you can add overscan borders by converting with something like DVDFlick (adjustable) or FAVC (set). FAVC should produce better vid quality.